Ohio State Squares Off with Purdue, Maryland This Week in Columbus
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women’s soccer team hosts Purdue at 7 p.m. Thursday before taking on Maryland at 1 p.m. Sunday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
Fans can follow live stats and video at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC. In addition, the match Thursday against the Boilermakers will be televised live on BTN.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
The Buckeyes played to a 1-1 draw against Illinois Friday night in Champaign. Illinois struck first on an Allison Stucky tally in the 18th minute but Sydney Dudley responded less than three minutes later for her first goal of the season. Devon Kerr, making her first-career start, tallied a career-best 10 saves in goal for the Buckeyes.
IN THE RANKINGS
Ohio State sit outside the Top 25 of the NSCAA poll released Tuesday. The Buckeyes garnered a No. 6 spot in the Great Lakes region rankings behind Penn State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers and Illinois.
SOME MORE NOTES
- Michela Paradiso sits tied for sixth in Ohio State history with 16 assists.
- Nichelle Prince is tied for 12th on the Ohio State career goals list with 21. The junior also moved into 13th place on the Buckeyes’ career points list with 54.
- Prince has notched two of the 12 hat tricks in Ohio State history, accomplishing the feat against Northeastern and Northwestern in 2013.
- After missing all of 2014 with an injury, goalkeeper Jillian McVicker has made 22 saves and has tallied a 1.16 goals-against average.
- Prince is tied for seventh in the Big Ten with 14 points and and tied for fifth with four assists. Prince also is tied for ninth with five goals.
- Nikki Walts and Lindsay Agnew also are tied for fifth in the conference with four assists.
- Devon Kerr ranks third in the conference with a .923 save percentage and a 0.45 goals-against average.
- Kerr’s 10 saves against Illinois were the most by a Buckeye since Katie Baumgardner made 10 saves in a 1-0 win at Michigan Oct. 21, 2011. The 10 saves also are tied for the most by any Big Ten goalkeeper this year.
- The Illinois State match marked the first six-goal game for the Buckeyes wins a 6-1 win over Northwestern Oct. 20, 2013.
- The victory over No. 8 Florida was the Buckeyes’ first win over a Top 15 team since a 1-0 overtime win against No. 13 Missouri Sept. 6, 2012. The last time Ohio State defeated a team ranked as high as No. 8 was a 3-2 win at No. 8 Virginia in the NCAA Sweet 16 Nov. 20, 2010.
Purdue is 7-5-0 overall, 6-2-0 in Big Ten play, after a 2-1 win over Nebraska Friday night. Hannah Leinert and Maddy Williams are tied for the team lead with six goals while Erika Yohn has tallied a 1.41 goals-against average in goal.
Ohio State has an 11-11-1 record in the all-time series with Purdue after a 3-1 Boilermaker victory last season.
Maryland enters the week with a 5-7-0 record, 0-4-0 in conference play, after a 1-0 loss to Michigan last Thursday. Alex Anthony leads the Terrapins with and is tied for second in the Big Ten with seven goals while Rachelle Beanlands has posted a 0.93 goals-against average with three clean sheets.
Ohio State has posted a 1-0-1 record in the all-time series with Maryland after a 1-1 draw last year in Columbus.
PRINCE NAMED B1G OFFENSIVE POW
Nichelle Prince was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, the conference office announced Aug. 25. The award is the fourth Big Ten honor of Prince’s career after garnering conference Freshman of the Week laurels three times as a freshman.
The forward from Ajax, Ontario, assisted on a pair of goals in a 6-2 win in the Buckeyes’ season-opener against Illinois State Aug. 21 and came back to score the game-winner in the 95th minute of Ohio State’s 1-0 overtime win over No. 8 Florida Aug. 23. The victory over the Gators was the Buckeyes’ first win over a Top 15 team since a 1-0 overtime win against No. 13 Missouri Sept. 6, 2012.
PARADISO, WOLCOTT NAMED 2015 CAPTAINS
Senior Michela Paradiso and redshirt junior Morgan Wolcott have been named team captains, head coach Lori Walker announced Aug. 14. In addition, Walker also announced junior Lindsay Agnew will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
BUCKEYES EARNS NSCAA ACADEMIC AWARD
Ohio State has earned an NSCAA College Women’s Team Academic Award for the seventh time in the past eight years, the association announced Sept. 23. To qualify for the award, a team must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) to be eligible.
11 AT HOME...AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes 11 matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 19th-year head coach Lori Walker. She has guided the team to nine NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 208-144-37 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 221-167-38.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 113-45-17 all-time.
- Ohio State is 94-28-15 since 2003 and 48-16-7 since 2009.
Ohio State travels to Rutgers at 7 p.m. Oct. 15 before squaring off with Indiana in Bloomington at 1 p.m. Oct. 18.
Buckeye Trio Named Scholar All-Americans