No. 12 Ohio State Women's Soccer Battles Michigan to 1-1 Tie

Go Buckeyes!
Go Buckeyes!

Go Buckeyes!

Oct. 3, 2003

Box Score

Columbus, Ohio - The 12th-ranked Ohio State women's soccer team (7-1-2, 1-1-2) fought Michigan (3-4-4, 2-1-2) through heavy rain and a stiff wind to a 1-1 stalemate Friday night at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The game was evenly matched throughout, as both the Buckeyes and Wolverines posted 14 shots overall, including 12 at the end of the first overtime and 10 following regulation action.

The Wolverines struck first in at the 25:22 mark of the first half, as Stephanie Chavez rifled a shot from the right corner of the 18-yard box and over an extended Ohio State keeper Emily Haynam (Jr., Westerville, Ohio) into the top half of the Buckeye goal to put UM up 1-0. Michigan's Erika Klienholz assisted on the goal.

The Buckeyes and Wolverines went scoreless for the remaining 25 minutes of the first half, as Michigan bested OSU in the shot department 6-3.

The Buckeyes, who faced a tough wind in the first half, attacked the UM goal for nine shots, including a scoring strike from forward Kathy Fulk (Dublin, Ohio) in the 63rd minute, as the junior fired a shot from the right of the 18-yard box across the Michigan net and into the left corner past a diving Suzie Grech. Fulk knotted the score at 1-1 with her third goal of 2003. Sophomore Danielle Dietrich (Cincinnati, Ohio) recorded her second assist of the season to help set up the final tally of the night, as the match eventually progressed to overtime.

Each squad posed a scoring threat in the initial extra session, as junior forward Liz Mumley (Woodbridge, Va.) narrowly missed a game-winner with a shot that struck the side of the UM net with 4:31 to go. Michigan answered with a threat of its own less than two minutes later. The Wolverine's leading scorer Kate Morgan was denied by OSU reserve keeper Staci Sinkway (Fr., Mission Viejo, Calif.), as Sinkway tapped Morgan's shot high of the net with an extended right hand. Neither team could muster an attack in overtime No. 2, as the Wolverines recorded their fourth tie in 2003, while the Buckeyes played to their second draw of the season.

Ohio State head coach Lori Walker was pleased with her team's performance in the second half after a sluggish first period.

"We were fortunate to get out of the first half 1-0," Walker said. "We played fantastic in the second half. Not having to deal with the wind helped us. We settled down and our midfielders really stepped up and played much more aggressively than in the first half."

The Buckeyes complete the home weekend series with a 2 p.m. match Sunday vs. Michigan State.

MICHIGAN (3-4-4, 2-1-2) vs. OHIO STATE (7-1-2, 1-1-2) Date: Oct 03, 2003 Attendance: 617 Weather: Rain and wind

Goals by period 1 2 OT O2 Tot ------------------------------------- MICHIGAN............ 1 0 0 0 - 1 OHIO STATE.......... 0 1 0 0 - 1

SCORING SUMMARY: 1. 19:38 MICH Chavez, Stephanie (2) (Kleinholz, Erika) - kick from just inside right corner of 18 2. 62:13 OSU Fulk, Kathy (3) (Dietrich, Danielle) - shot from outside right 18-yd box past e

Shots: MICHIGAN 14, OHIO STATE 14 Saves: MICHIGAN 5 (Grech, Suzie 5), OHIO STATE 2 (Sinkway, Staci 1; Haynam, Emily 1) double overtime tie