Ohio State Hits the Road to Face Iowa, Nebraska This Weekend
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women’s soccer team travels to Iowa for an 8 p.m. ET match Friday before taking on Nebraska at 2:05 p.m. ET Sunday in Lincoln.
Fans can follow live stats and video at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
The Buckeyes allowed a pair of second-half goals in a 2-1 loss to Minnesota last Thursday before playing to a scoreless draw against Wisconsin Sunday.
IN THE RANKINGS
Ohio State dropped out of the Top 25 of the NSCAA poll released Tuesday. The Buckeyes, who are receiving votes in the poll, also garnered a No. 5 spot in the Great Lakes region rankings behind Rutgers, Minnesota, Penn State and Michigan.
SOME MORE NOTES
- Michela Paradiso sits tied for sixth in Ohio State history with 16 assists.
- Nichelle Prince is tied for 13th on the Ohio State career goals list with 19. The junior also moved into 15th place on the Buckeyes’ career points list with 50.
- Prince has notched two of the 12 hat tricks in Ohio State history, accomplishing the feat against Northeastern and Northwestern in 2013.
- After missing all of 2014 with an injury, goalkeeper Jillian McVicker has made 17 saves and has tallied a 0.89 goals-against average.
- Prince is tied for eighth in the Big Ten with 10 points and tied for second with four assists.
- The Illinois State match marked the first six-goal game for the Buckeyes wins a 6-1 win over Northwestern Oct. 20, 2013.
- The victory over No. 8 Florida was the Buckeyes’ first win over a Top 15 team since a 1-0 overtime win against No. 13 Missouri Sept. 6, 2012. The last time Ohio State defeated a team ranked as high as No. 8 was a 3-2 win at No. 8 Virginia in the NCAA Sweet 16 Nov. 20, 2010.
Iowa is 6-3-0 overall, 0-2-0 in conference play, after dropping a pair of one-goal games at Michigan State and Michigan last weekend. Bri Toelle leads the Hawkeyes with four goals and four assists while Hannah Clark has tallied a 0.66 goals-against average with four clean sheets in goal.
Ohio State holds an 11-6-1 lead in the all-time series with Iowa after the Hawkeyes picked up a 2-1 win last year in Columbus.
Nebraska is 4-3-1 on the year, 0-1-1 in conference play, after falling at Michigan, 2-0, in its Big Ten opener and playing to a scoreless draw at Michigan State last weekend. Jycie Johnson and Jaylyn Odermann are tied for the team lead with three goals while Erika Johnson has posted a 1.37 goals-against average.
Ohio State is 3-2-0 all-time against Nebraska after topping the Cornhuskers, 3-1, last year in Columbus.
PRINCE NAMED B1G OFFENSIVE POW
Nichelle Prince was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, the conference office announced Aug. 25. The award is the fourth Big Ten honor of Prince’s career after garnering conference Freshman of the Week laurels three times as a freshman.
The forward from Ajax, Ontario, assisted on a pair of goals in a 6-2 win in the Buckeyes’ season-opener against Illinois State Aug. 21 and came back to score the game-winner in the 95th minute of Ohio State’s 1-0 overtime win over No. 8 Florida Aug. 23. The victory over the Gators was the Buckeyes’ first win over a Top 15 team since a 1-0 overtime win against No. 13 Missouri Sept. 6, 2012.
PARADISO, WOLCOTT NAMED 2015 CAPTAINS
Senior Michela Paradiso and redshirt junior Morgan Wolcott have been named team captains, head coach Lori Walker announced Aug. 14. In addition, Walker also announced junior Lindsay Agnew will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
BUCKEYES EARNS NSCAA ACADEMIC AWARD
Ohio State has earned an NSCAA College Women’s Team Academic Award for the seventh time in the past eight years, the association announced Sept. 23. To qualify for the award, a team must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) to be eligible.
11 AT HOME...AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes 11 matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 19th-year head coach Lori Walker. She has guided the team to nine NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 207-143-36 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 220-166-37.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 113-45-17 all-time.
- Ohio State is 94-28-15 since 2003 and 48-16-7 since 2009.
Ohio State takes on Illinois at 7 p.m. ET Oct. 2 in Champaign.
Ohio State Blanks Iowa, 2-0
Buckeyes Earn 1-0 Win at Nebraska