No. 20 Ohio State Opens Big Ten Play Against Minnesota, Wisconsin
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 20 Ohio State women’s soccer team opens Big Ten play against Minnesota at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and Wisconsin at noon Sunday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
Fans can follow live stats and video at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
The Buckeyes fell to No. 8 West Virginia, 2-0, last Friday before coming back to top Bucknell, 2-0, Sunday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
After giving up a pair of second-half goals against the Mountaineers, the Buckeyes outshot Bucknell, 23-5, to pick up the win as Bridget Skinner and Sarah Roberts each tallied their first-career goal.
IN THE RANKINGS
Ohio State is ranked No. 20 in the NSCAA poll released Tuesday. The Buckeyes, who are one of three Big Ten teams ranked in the Top 25, also garnered a No. 3 spot in the Great Lakes region rankings behind Penn State and Rutgers.
SOME MORE NOTES
- Michela Paradiso sits tied for sixth in Ohio State history with 16 assists.
- Nichelle Prince is tied for 13th on the Ohio State career goals list with 19. The junior also moved into 15th place on the Buckeyes’ career points list with 49.
- Prince has notched two of the 12 hat tricks in Ohio State history, accomplishing the feat against Northeastern and Northwestern in 2013.
- After missing all of 2014 with an injury, goalkeeper Jillian McVicker has made 15 saves and has tallied a 0.79 goals-against average.
- Prince is tied for ninth in the Big Ten with nine points while Prince, Lindsay Agnew and Nikki Walts are tied for third in the Big Ten with three assists.
- Ohio State is fifth in the Big Ten with 14 goals on the season.
- The Illinois State match marked the first six-goal game for the Buckeyes wins a 6-1 win over Northwestern Oct. 20, 2013.
- The victory over No. 8 Florida was the Buckeyes’ first win over a Top 15 team since a 1-0 overtime win against No. 13 Missouri Sept. 6, 2012. The last time Ohio State defeated a team ranked as high as No. 8 was a 3-2 win at No. 8 Virginia in the NCAA Sweet 16 Nov. 20, 2010.
Minnesota enters Big Ten play with a 5-1-2 record after topping New Mexico and Nebraska-Omaha last weekend. Simone Kolander leads the Golden Gophers with three goals while goalkeeper Tarah Hobbs leads the Big Ten with a 0.26 goals-against average to go along with five shutouts.
Ohio State holds an 11-9-4 lead in the all-time series with Minnesota and is undefeated in the last six matchups against the Golden Gophers.
Wisconsin begins the week with a 3-3-2 record after drawing against Milwaukee and Kentucky last weekend. Rose Lavelle leads the Badgers with four goals and two assists while goalkeeper Caitlyn Clem has tallied a 1.20 goals-against average.
Ohio State trails the all-time series with Wisconsin, 9-10-5, with the Badgers winning each of the last two meetings.
PRINCE NAMED B1G OFFENSIVE POW
Nichelle Prince was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, the conference office announced Aug. 25. The award is the fourth Big Ten honor of Prince’s career after garnering conference Freshman of the Week laurels three times as a freshman.
The forward from Ajax, Ontario, assisted on a pair of goals in a 6-2 win in the Buckeyes’ season-opener against Illinois State Aug. 21 and came back to score the game-winner in the 95th minute of Ohio State’s 1-0 overtime win over No. 8 Florida Aug. 23. The victory over the Gators was the Buckeyes’ first win over a Top 15 team since a 1-0 overtime win against No. 13 Missouri Sept. 6, 2012.
PARADISO, WOLCOTT NAMED 2015 CAPTAINS
Senior Michela Paradiso and redshirt junior Morgan Wolcott have been named team captains, head coach Lori Walker announced Aug. 14. In addition, Walker also announced junior Lindsay Agnew will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
11 AT HOME...AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes 11 matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season with Big Ten action kicking off Thursday against Minnesota. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 19th-year head coach Lori Walker. She has guided the team to nine NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 207-142-35 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 220-165-36.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 113-44-16 all-time.
- Ohio State is 94-27-14 since 2003 and 48-15-6 since 2009.
Ohio State travels to Iowa at 8 p.m. ET Sept. 25 and Nebraska at 2:05 p.m. ET Sept. 27.