COLUMBUS, Ohio Ohio State’s women’s soccer team, unbeaten at 5-0 and rising in the national and regional rankings, closes out a six-match home stand with a 7:30 p.m. match Thursday against the 0-3-1 Ohio Bobcats. Ohio State then travels to face 4-0 Louisville, another team on the rise in the rankings, at 1 p.m. Sunday in its first road game of the year.
The Buckeyes are currently ranked 26th in this week’s Soccer Buzz Top 30. They also received 37 votes in the NSCAA/adidas Top 25 which places the team 29th. Louisville is ranked 29th by Soccer Buzz. In the Great Lakes Region, Ohio State and Louisville are ranked Nos. 3 and 4, respectively, by Soccer Buzz and Nos. 4 and 5 by NSCAA/adidas. Ohio is not ranked among the top 15 teams in the region.
Live stats for the Ohio game will be available at http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/. Click on the “live stats” link in the upper right corner of the women’s soccer home page found at ohiostatebuckeyes.com.
A SNAPSHOT OF OSU’S SEASON TO DATE
Ohio State’s 5-0 start ties for the best start in the program’s 15-year history. The 1998 and 2003 teams also started the season 5-0. No Ohio State team has started 6-0-0. The ’98 team lost its sixth game while the ’03 team tied its sixth and won its seventh before losing. Some views of the season from the pressbox:
- Hermann Trophy candidate Lara Dickenmann has scored two game-winners this season vs. St. Louis in the second overtime and vs. San Diego and is tied for fifth at Ohio State with 25 career goals.
- Ohio State is 13-2 the last two seasons in games that Dickenmann scores a point.
- A total of 14 players have scored at least one point this season with Ashley Bowyer (2-2-6), Dickenmann (2-1-5) and Carla Arbulu (1-3-5) leading the way.
- Seven players have scored goals and five have scored two goals each, including three freshmen: Courtney Jenkins, Alex Burzynski and Genna Brand.
- Goalkeeper Lauren Robertson is 5-0 and leads the Big Ten Conference in saves percentage (.920) and goals-against average (0.39).
- True freshmen Jenkins and Lauren Hallauer have started all five games while freshman Burzynski and red-shirt freshman Lauren Steuer have four starts apiece.
- Ohio State has outscored its opponents, 12-2, and has out-shot the opposition by 43 shots (95-52).
- Ohio State’s win over San Diego was the 150th in 15 years of women’s soccer at OSU.
WALKER ANNOUNCING WORLD CUP
Coach Lori Walker will miss the team’s next two games, against Ohio Thursday and Sept. 16 at Louisville, while announcing the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2007 matches. Walker and her broadcast partners will be calling the first-round games off television monitors from ESPN’s Bristol, Conn., studios. Walker will return to the sidelines in time for Ohio State’s Sept. 21 game against top-ranked North Carolina, her alma mater.
COACHING OHIO STATE THIS WEEK
Greg Miller, associate head coach in his seventh year at Ohio State, will coach the team against Ohio and Louisville. He’ll have plenty of expert support. Assistant coach Stephanie Gabbert was on the U.S. National Team’s coaching staff prior to coming to Ohio State and she has been a head coach at Iowa, Iowa State and Northeast Missouri State.
OHIO STATE vs. OHIO
The game Thursday against Ohio is the third in the series and first in seven years. The Bobcats defeated the Buckeyes, 2-1, in Athens in 2000. Ohio State won in 1999, 3-0, in Columbus.
OSU: 35-7-5 AT JESSE OWENS LAST FOUR YEARS
This is the ninth season that Ohio State has played its home soccer games in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The Buckeyes are 54-22-7 all-time at Jesse Owens and in the last four seasons they are an impressive 35-7-5 at home (.795).
6-0 vs. LOUISVILLE
Ohio State and Louisville have played six times previously with OSU winning all six matches. The teams last met in 2004, a 1-0 Ohio State win in Louisville.
LOUISVILLE STARTS TOUGH STRETCH
Within eight days in September the Buckeyes will play Louisville, defending national champion and Lori Walker alma mater North Carolina and Duke on the road. Louisville and Duke were NCAA Championship participants last year. After the Duke game Sept. 23, the Buckeyes will prepare for a home match against another 2007 NCAA team: Illinois. The Sept. 28 game will kick off the Buckeyes’ Big Ten schedule.
ROBERTSON NAMED BIG TEN’S BEST; SOCCER BUZZ ELITE TEAM MEMBER
Three shutout victories, 13 saves made plus an assist netted sophomore goalkeeper Lauren Robertson the Big Ten Conference Defensive Player of the Week award and also a spot on Soccer Buzz Magazine’s Elite Team of the Week. Her week included a sterling, seven-save performance in Ohio State’s win over 24th-ranked San Diego.
ARBULU NAMED TO ELITE TEAM OF THE WEEK
Carla Arbulu was named to Soccer Buzz Magazine’s first Elite Team of the Week for 2007. The forward/defender from Grover Beach, Calif., recorded five points in OSU wins over Butler and St. Louis. Arbulu notched two assists in the season-opening win over Butler and then tallied a goal and an assist on Lara Dickenmann’s game winner in the second overtime in the 3-2, victory over St. Louis.
LEADER BOWYER HAS POINTS IN FOUR GAMES
Team points leader Ashley Bowyer has scored points in four out of the first five games and leads the team with six points off two goals and two assists. Bowyer, a sophomore who played three games in March with the U.S. U-20 team, made the Big Ten’s all-freshman team last year.
CAREER STATISTICS AND NOTES
With players all over the record books statistically and climbing higher, here is a look at the OSU record pages and where current players rank:
- Lara Dickenmann has 78 career points, third-best at Ohio State. Lisa Grubb (95 from 2001-06) and Lisa Suttmiller (83 from 1994-97) are one-two.
- Junior Lisa Collison is tied for 10th-place with 53 career points.
- Carla Arbulu has moved into a tie for 8th-place at Ohio State with 13 career assists. She has assisted on three game-winning goals over the past two seasons.
- Dickenmann is tied for 5th with 25 career goals. Collison is tied for 6th with 24.
- Lauren Robertson needs two more shutouts to move into a tie for 5th for season shutouts. She currently has four.
DICKENMANN HONORED NATIONALLY
Senior tri-captain Lara Dickenmann has been named to the preseason watch list for the Hermann Trophy, the most prestigious individual award in intercollegiate soccer. Dickenmann also has been named to MajorLeagueSoccer Magazine’s preseason All-America team. MLS is a new soccer publication that debuted in July.
FRESHMEN HAVE SCORED 17 POINTS
Ohio State’s freshmen class, judged No. 1 in the Big Ten and No. 13 nationally by soccerbuzz.com, has made an immediate impact on the success of the team. Through five games seven freshmen have combined to score 17 of the team’s 38 points. A few more fun frosh facts:
- Courtney Jenkins and Alex Burzynski have taken 13 and 12 shots, respectively, and trail only Lara Dickenmann in that category.
- Jenkins and Genna Brand each scored and Lauren Beachy added an assist giving the frosh a total of five points in the win over Wright State.
- In an exciting five-goal game against St. Louis that featured five lead changes and/or ties, Burzynski tied the score at 2-all off assists from freshman Emily Esbrook and sophomore Ashley Bowyer.
- In the 3-0 win over Butler, a freshmen trio combined to give the Buckeyes a 2-0 edge as Genna Brand scored off the post with assists from Esbrook and Ali Whitehurst.
- Later in the Butler game, Jenkins, took a feed from Carla Arbulu and blasted a shot from 15-yards out to close the scoring.
- Red-shirt frosh Lauren Steuer scored her first collegiate point off an assist in the big win over San Diego.
OHIO STATE HEAD COACH LORI WALKER
Lori Walker has been Ohio State’s coach since the 1996 season. She has coached the Buckeyes to two Big Ten Tournament championships 2002 and 2004 and into the NCAA Championship field three times (consecutively between 2002-04). Walker has guided the team to a 114-82-15 ledger.
OHIO STATE PROGRAM HISTORY
Ohio State has had a women’s soccer program since 1993, making this season the 15th in school history. The program’s all-time record is 150-120-18.
COLLISON AND DICKENMANN ARE NATIONAL TEAM MEMBERS
Lisa Collison was a member Team Canada’s U-20 national team and Lara Dickenmann is a member of the Swiss National Team. The two international stars tied for the OSU team lead last year with 23 points apiece. In addition, Ashley Bowyer has played three games with the U.S. U-20 squad.
BUCKS PICKED FOURTH IN BIG TEN
The Big Ten Conference women’s soccer coaches have picked Ohio State as the No. 4 team in the conference according to the preseason poll released by the league. Penn State was selected by the 11 conference coaches as the team to beat with Illinois and Purdue ranked No. 2 and No. 3, respectively.
BUCKS HOST BIG TEN’S PRESEASON TOP 3
Ohio State will host all three teams that are ranked ahead of it in the Big Ten preseason poll. Illinois comes to town Sept. 28. Purdue and Penn State close out the home season. The Buckeyes and the Boilermakers will meet Oct. 28, while the regular-season ending Penn State contest is set for Nov. 2.
Walker Adds Five for 2016