Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram | 2017 Schedule | Weekly Release | Walker-Hock Preview | Knight Preview| Roberts Preview
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women’s soccer team opens Big Ten play against Illinois and Northwestern this week at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The match against the Illini is set for 7 p.m. Thursday before a contest against the Wildcats at 1 p.m. Sunday.
Fans can follow live stats and streaming video on the schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC. The match against the Wildcats will be televised live on ESPNU.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Ohio State earned a 2-1 double-overtime victory over No. 20 Notre Dame Friday night before concluding non-conference play with a 1-0 loss to Saint Joseph’s Sunday afternoon. Morgan Wolcott opened the scoring against the Irish with a goal in the 15th minute before an own goal won it for the Buckeyes in the 105th minute.
IN THE RANKINGS
The Buckeyes are receiving votes in the latest United Soccer Coaches and TopDrawerSoccer.com polls.
SOME MORE NOTES
- The Buckeyes will square off with eight NCAA Tournament teams from a season ago. Among the Buckeyes’ 2017 opponents, six appeared in the United Soccer Coaches’ preseason poll including No. 8 BYU, No. 18 Notre Dame, No. 19 Minnesota, No. 21 Rutgers, No. 22 Nebraska and No. 23 Northwestern.
- Sammy Edwards is the only Buckeye on the roster with a hat trick, notching the 13th in program history in a 4-2 win against Dayton in 2014.
- Ohio State is 31-1-2 when scoring at least two goals in a game since the start of 2014, including 5-0-0 in 2017. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 in 2016 and 10-1-1 last season.
- Ohio State is 5-0-0 when scoring first after going 10-0-1 when scoring first a season ago.
- The Buckeyes suffered their first loss in their last 15 overtime matches in a 1-0 double-overtime defeat at No. 1 West Virginia last Nov. 18 before earning the 2-1 overtime win at Arizona State in their 2017 opener Aug. 18 and a scoreless draw at BYU Aug. 21. Ohio State is now 7-1-7 in overtime matches over the last three seasons.
- Ohio State sits 22nd nationally with 16 assists and 42nd with 6.57 points per game.
- Goalkeeper Devon Kerr is tied for 36th nationally with three shutouts while Arden Holden and Sammy Edwards are tied for 31st with four assists. In addition, Holden and Edwards are tied for fourth in the conference in assists.
- Sammy Edwards is tied for 14th on the Ohio State career goals list with 19 while Nikki Walts is tied for ninth on the career assists list with 16.
BUCKEYE TRIO NAMED PLAYERS TO WATCH
Seniors Nikki Walts and Morgan Wolcott, along with freshman Maddy Lowe, have been named the Buckeyes’ players to watch, the conference office announced Aug. 14. Ohio State was selected eighth in the Big Ten preseason coaches’ poll.
WALTS, WOLCOTT NAMED 2017 CAPTAINS
Seniors Nikki Walts and Morgan Wolcott have been named captains of the 2017 Ohio State women’s soccer team, head coach Lori Walker-Hock announced Aug. 15. In addition, Walker-Hock announced sophomore Meghan Kammerdeiner will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
Illinois is 3-5-0 on the year after dropping a pair of matches at No. 18 Oklahoma State and Oklahoma over the weekend. Arianna Veland leads the Illini with a pair of goals on the year while Jaelyn Cunningham has tallied a 1.62 goals-against average.
Ohio State has tallied a 9-9-3 record all-time against the Illini.
Northwestern is 3-3-1 on the year following a split of matches against Missouri and Pepperdine last week. Kayla Sharples, Marisa Viggiano and Madi Kennel are tied for the team lead with two goals while Lauren Clem has made 29 saves with a 1.11 goals-against average.
The Buckeyes hold a 14-6-2 record all-time against the Wildcats.
11 AT HOME AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes six more matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 21st-year head coach Lori Walker-Hock. She has guided the team to 11 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15-16), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 231-156-41 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 244-179-42.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 126-50-19 all-time.
- Ohio State is 107-33-17 since 2003 and 61-21-9 since 2009.
Ohio State travels to Nebraska for an 8:05 p.m. ET Friday matchup before a 3 p.m. ET Sunday contest at Iowa.
Buckeye Trio Named Scholar All-Americans