COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women’s soccer team concludes its non-conference schedule when it hosts No. 20 Notre Dame and Saint Joseph’s this weekend at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The parents’ recognition match against the Irish is slated for 7 p.m. Friday with the senior recognition contest against the Hawks set for 1 p.m. Sunday.
Fans can follow live stats and streaming video on the schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Ohio State picked up a 2-0 win over Western Michigan last Friday before a 6-2 victory over USF Sunday night. Meghan Kammerdeiner and Marissa Birzon scored against the Broncos while Devon Kerr earned her third-consecutive shutout. Against the Bulls, Eleanor Gabriel, Kammerdeiner, Lexxe Lipsey, Sammy Edwards, Sarah Roberts and Nikki Walts each found the back of the net.
IN THE RANKINGS
The Buckeyes are receiving votes in the latest United Soccer Coaches and TopDrawerSoccer.com polls.
SOME MORE NOTES
- The Buckeyes will square off with eight NCAA Tournament teams from a season ago. Among the Buckeyes’ 2017 opponents, six appeared in the United Soccer Coaches’ preseason poll including No. 8 BYU, No. 18 Notre Dame, No. 19 Minnesota, No. 21 Rutgers, No. 22 Nebraska and No. 23 Northwestern.
- Sammy Edwards is the only Buckeye on the roster with a hat trick, notching the 13th in program history in a 4-2 win against Dayton in 2014.
- Ohio State is 30-1-2 when scoring at least two goals in a game since the start of 2014, including 4-0-0 in 2017. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 in 2016 and 10-1-1 last season.
- Ohio State is 4-0-0 when scoring first after going 10-0-1 when scoring first a season ago.
- The Buckeyes suffered their first loss in their last 15 overtime matches in a 1-0 double-overtime defeat at No. 1 West Virginia last Nov. 18 before earning the 2-1 overtime win at Arizona State in their 2017 opener Aug. 18 and a scoreless draw at BYU Aug. 21. Ohio State is now 6-1-7 in overtime matches over the last three seasons.
- The Buckeyes rank 24th nationally and tied for third in the Big Ten in scoring offense with 2.60 goals per game.
- Ohio State sits 11th nationally with 15 assists and 16th with 8.2 points per game.
- Goalkeeper Devon Kerr is tied for 20th nationally with three shutouts while Arden Holden and Sammy Edwards are tied for 14th with four assists. In addition, Holden and Edwards are tied for third in the conference in assists.
- Sammy Edwards is tied for 14th on the Ohio State career goals list with 19 while Nikki Walts is tied for 15th on the career assists list with 15.
BUCKEYE TRIO NAMED PLAYERS TO WATCH
Seniors Nikki Walts and Morgan Wolcott, along with freshman Maddy Lowe, have been named the Buckeyes’ players to watch, the conference office announced Aug. 14. Ohio State was selected eighth in the Big Ten preseason coaches’ poll.
WALTS, WOLCOTT NAMED 2017 CAPTAINS
Seniors Nikki Walts and Morgan Wolcott have been named captains of the 2017 Ohio State women’s soccer team, head coach Lori Walker-Hock announced Aug. 15. In addition, Walker-Hock announced sophomore Meghan Kammerdeiner will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
SCOUTING NOTRE DAME
Notre Dame is 3-1-2 on the year after a 4-1 win over Santa Clara on Sunday. Jennifer Westendorf and Natalie Jacobs lead the Irish with three goals apiece while goalkeeper Brooke Littman has posted a 0.46 goals-against average with three clean sheets.
The Irish have won all six meetings with the Buckeyes, including a 1-0 win in the last meeting in the 2010 College Cup semifinal.
SCOUTING SAINT JOSEPH’S
Saint Joseph’s is 3-1-1 on the year following a 4-3 win at Towson last Sunday. Hannah Racis has tallied a team-high four goals while Gabrielle Vagnozzi has added three more. Goalkeeper Grace Bendon has tallied a 1.52 goals-against average with one shutout.
Sunday’s match marks the first meeting between the Buckeyes and Hawks.
11 AT HOME AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes eight more matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 21st-year head coach Lori Walker-Hock. She has guided the team to 11 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15-16), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 230-155-41 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 243-178-42.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 125-49-19 all-time.
- Ohio State is 106-32-17 since 2003 and 60-20-9 since 2009.
Ohio State opens Big Ten play when it hosts Illinois at 7 p.m. Thursday and Northwestern at 1 p.m. Sunday. The match against the Wildcats will be televised live on ESPNU.
Buckeye Trio Named Scholar All-Americans