- Follow Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Weekly Release
- 2016 Schedule
- Coach Walker Preview
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women’s soccer team heads to No. 16 Virginia Tech for a 7 p.m. match Thursday before traveling to take on No. 4 West Virginia at 6 p.m. Sunday.
Fans can follow live stats and video at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Ohio State picked up a pair of wins in last weekend in the Sunshine State, topping Miami, 2-1, Friday before gutting out a 1-0 double-overtime win over a fully-rested Florida Gulf Coast team Sunday. Sammy Edwards scored the game-winner for the Buckeyes in the 75th minute against the Hurricanes. Haley Walker-Robinson then posted the game-winning tally in the 108th minute while Jillian McVicker made four saves for the Buckeyes’ second shutout of the season against the Eagles.
WALKER IN 20TH SEASON AT HELM
Head coach Lori Walker is in her 20th season at Ohio State in 2016. The two-time Big Ten Coach of the Year (2001 and 2010) has led the team to 10 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 219-148-37 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 232-171-38
PRINCE EARNS BRONZE WITH CANADA
Nichelle Prince earned a bronze medal with Canada’s 2-1 win over Brazil Aug. 19 in Sao Paulo.
Prince was named to the Canadian Olympic team this past summer, becoming the first women’s soccer Buckeye to compete in the Olympics when she came off the bench in Canada’s 3-1 win over Zimbabwe Aug. 6 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The senior played 21 minutes in a 2-1 win over Germany Aug. 9 and again came off the bench in the 85th minute of a 2-0 loss to the Germans in the semifinals Aug. 16. Canada then topped host Brazil, 2-1, Aug. 19 in Sao Paulo to earn the bronze medal.
IN THE RANKINGS
Ohio State is receiving votes in the latest NSCAA released Tuesday. The Buckeyes are one of six Big Ten teams either ranked or receiving votes in the poll. In addition, the Buckeyes are ranked seventh in the Great Lakes region.
IN THE BIG TEN
- The Buckeyes rank second in the Big Ten with 10 goals and nine assists on the season.
- Nikki Walts is tied for the Big Ten lead with three assists while Lindsay Agnew is tied for fourth with a pair of helpers.
SOME MORE NOTES
- Nichelle Prince enters 2016 tied for 11th on the Ohio State career goals list with 22. The senior also has moved into ninth place on the Buckeyes’ career points list with 59.
- Prince has notched two of the 12 hat tricks in Ohio State history, accomplishing the feat against Northeastern and Northwestern in 2013. Sammy Edwards is the only other Buckeye on the roster with a hat trick, scoring three times in a 4-2 win against Dayton in 2014.
- This season, the Buckeyes are slated to face five teams in the NSCAA preseason poll, including Penn State (No. 2), West Virginia (No. 6), Rutgers (No. 10), BYU (No. 16) and Virginia Tech (No. 17).
- Ohio State is 19-0-1 when scoring at least two goals dating back to the start of 2014. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 last season and are 3-0-0 after scoring at least twice in three matches this season.
SCOUTING VIRGINIA TECH
Virginia Tech is 4-0-0 on the year after picking up wins against East Carolina and James Madison last weekend. Alani Johnson leads the Hokies with four goals while Mandy McGlynn has posted a 0.51 goals-against average with two clean sheets.
The Buckeyes hold a 2-1-0 lead in the all-time series with the Hokies after earning a 1-0 win in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season.
SCOUTING WEST VIRGINIA
West Virginia is 3-0-1 after topping No. 8 Clemson and St. Francis last weekend. Sh’Nia Gordon has tallied two goals and an assist while Rylee Foster has recorded a 0.33 goals against average with 11 saves.
The Buckeyes are 4-4-1 all-time against the Mountaineers after dropping a 2-0 decision last year in Columbus.
AGNEW, WOLCOTT NAMED 2016 CAPTAINS
Seniors Lindsay Agnew and Morgan Wolcott have been named captains of the 2016 Ohio State women’s soccer team, head coach Lori Walker announced Aug. 22. In addition, Walker announced junior Nikki Walts will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
NINE AT HOME AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes nine matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season with the Big Ten home opener set for 7 p.m. Sept. 23 against Nebraska. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 20th-year head coach Lori Walker. She has guided the team to 10 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 219-148-37 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 232-171-38.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 119-46-17 all-time.
- Ohio State is 100-29-15 since 2003 and 54-17-7 since 2009.
Ohio State returns home to host Texas at 5 p.m. Sept. 9 and nationally-ranked BYU at 7 p.m. Sept. 12.
Buckeye Trio Named Scholar All-Americans