COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women’s soccer team hosts in-state foe Wright State at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
Fans can follow live stats and video at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
The Buckeyes opened 2016 with a 3-0 win over Kent State Friday night at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Lindsay Agnew (8’), Meghan Kammerdeiner (19’) and Nya Cason (32’) scored first-half goals and Jillian McVicker made five saves as the Buckeyes cruised to the season-opening win.
WALKER IN 20TH SEASON AT HELM
Head coach Lori Walker is in her 20th season at Ohio State in 2016. The two-time Big Ten Coach of the Year (2001 and 2010) has led the team to 10 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 216-148-37 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 229-171-38
PRINCE FIRST BUCKEYE IN OLYMPICS
Nichelle Prince earned a bronze medal with Canada’s 2-1 win over Brazil Friday afternoon in Sao Paulo.
Prince was named to the Canadian Olympic team this past summer, becoming the first women’s soccer Buckeye to compete in the Olympics when she came off the bench in Canada’s 3-1 win over Zimbabwe Aug. 6 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The senior played 21 minutes in a 2-1 win over Germany Aug. 9 and again came off the bench in the 85th minute of a 2-0 loss to the Germans in the semifinals Tuesday afternoon. Canada then topped host Brazil, 2-1, Friday afternoon in Sao Paulo to earn the bronze medal.
BUCKS PICKED FIFTH IN B1G POLL
Ohio State was selected fifth in the Big Ten preseason poll, the conference office announced Aug. 15. Penn State was picked first, followed by Rutgers, Wisconsin, Michigan and the Buckeyes.
SOME MORE NOTES
- Nichelle Prince enters 2016 tied for 11th on the Ohio State career goals list with 22. The senior also has moved into ninth place on the Buckeyes’ career points list with 59.
- Prince has notched two of the 12 hat tricks in Ohio State history, accomplishing the feat against Northeastern and Northwestern in 2013. Sammy Edwards is the only other Buckeye on the roster with a hat trick, scoring three times in a 4-2 win against Dayton in 2014.
- The win against No. 14 Virginia Tech in the NCAA second round, paired with a 1-0 overtime win against No. 8 Florida in August, gave Ohio State a pair of wins over Top 15 teams last season. The last time Ohio State defeated two Top 15 teams in the same season was 2012 when the Buckeyes topped No. 15 Minnesota and No. 8 Virginia on their way to the College Cup.
- This season, the Buckeyes are slated to face five teams in the NSCAA preseason poll, including Penn State (No. 2), West Virginia (No. 6), Rutgers (No. 10), BYU (No. 16) and Virginia Tech (No. 17).
- Ohio State is 17-0-1 when scoring at least two goals dating back to the start of 2014. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 last season and are 1-0-0 after scoring three times in the season opener Friday against Kent State.
SCOUTING WRIGHT STATE
Wright State fell in its 2016 opener, 3-0, at Notre Dame Friday night. Goalkeeper Katie Ruff made eight saves in the match against the Fighting Irish.
Ohio State holds an 11-2-0 lead in the all-time series with the Raiders, earning a 2-1 win in the last meeting in 2011.
NINE AT HOME AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes nine matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season with the Big Ten home opener set for 7 p.m. Sept. 23 against Nebraska. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 20th-year head coach Lori Walker. She has guided the team to 10 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 216-148-37 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 229-171-38.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 118-46-17 all-time.
- Ohio State is 99-29-15 since 2003 and 53-17-7 since 2009.
Ohio State hits the road to face Miami (Fla.) Friday night and Florida Gulf Coast Sunday night.
Buckeye Trio Named Scholar All-Americans