Student-Athlete Spotlight: Ellyn Gruber, Women's Soccer
Aug 21, 2013
No. 5 Ellyn Gruber, Junior Midfielder
Major: Human Nutrition
Gruber is in her third season as a starter for the Buckeyes and was selected a team captain by her teammates. The 2012 Academic All-Big Ten selection and two-time OSU Scholar-Athlete has played in 44 games in her first two seasons, notching a goal (a game-winner against Nebraska in the 2012 Big Ten Tournament) and five assists.
- Describe your first day as a student at The Ohio State University? - Exciting, but overwhelming. I was lost a lot.
- Do you prefer the Oval in the Fall or Spring (or maybe the Winter)? - Spring
- Where is the best place to sit for lectures? - Front and center
- Most underrated place to study on campus - The Oval
- Why did you choose to major in human nutrition? Because I thought it would help me in nursing school after undergraduate studies.
- Favorite pro sports team - Cincinnati Bengals
- Favorite athlete - Megan Rapinoe
- The athlete I would most like to compete against - Alex Morgan
- Favorite athletic memory - Winning the 2010 Big Ten Tournament
- Team you're most looking forward to competing against - Penn State
- Dream event (non-sport or sport-related) you would like to attend - World Cup
- Pre-game/match superstition/Pre-game/match ritual - I eat the same food and listen to the same music
- What is your top skill? Putting myself in good spots
- What skill do you need to improve? - Finishing and capitalizing on my chances
- Most interesting place I've visited - Seattle, Wash.
- Place I would like to visit - Australia
- Person I most admire - My dad
- The greatest risk I've ever taken was - Deciding where I wanted to play college soccer
- In 10 years, I would like to be - Working as an athletic trainer/nurse and raising a family
- If I had a million dollars, I would - Travel around the world with my friends
- Coolest thing you did this past summer - Hiking in the mountains
- I would like to trade places for a day with - Alex Morgan
- Best piece of advice you've received - "When all else fails, always work hard."
- Any superstitions, non-game/match related - Coffee every morning
- Pop or Soda? - Pop
- Cats or Dogs? - Dogs
- Early Bird or Night Owl? - Early Bird
- Would you be the O, H, I or the O? - "O"
Walker Adds Five for 2016