Ohio State Takes On Illinois State, No. 8 Florida to Open 2015 Campaign
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women’s soccer team opens the 2015 season against Illinois State at 7 p.m. Friday and No. 8 Florida at noon Sunday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
Fans can follow live stats and video at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
A LOOK AT 2015
The Buckeyes, under the direction of 19th-year head coach Lori Walker, return eight starters and 14 letterwinners of last year’s team that finished 6-10-3 overall, 3-7-3 in Big Ten play. Sophomore forward Sammy Edwards is back after leading the Buckeyes with six goals a year ago along with junior defender Nicole Miyashiro, who paced Ohio State with five assists.
SOME MORE NOTES
- Michela Paradiso sits tied for 11th in Ohio State history with 15 assists.
- Nichelle Prince already sits tied for 14th on the Ohio State career goals list with 16.
- Prince has notched two of the 12 hat tricks in Ohio State history, accomplishing the feat against Northeastern and Northwestern in 2013.
- The Buckeyes return goalkeeper Jillian McVicker and defender Morgan Wolcott this season after both players missed the entire 2014 season with knee injuries. McVicker has tallied a 0.90 goal-against average in 39 career games while Wolcott has started 18 matches while battling injuries in her three years on campus.
SCOUTING ILLINOIS STATE
Four-time defending Missouri Valley Conference Tournament champion Illinois State enters its first season under the direction of head coach Eric Golz. The Redbirds, who went 16-6-0 last season and advanced to second round of NCAA Tournament, return MVC Freshman of the Year Kelli Zickert after the Arlington Heights, Ill., native tallied five goals and five assists a year ago.
Friday marks the first meeting between the Buckeyes and Redbirds.
Florida, under the direction of 21st-year head coach Becky Burleigh, comes into the 2015 season after posting a 17-4-2 record before falling on penalty kicks to Stanford in the NCAA quarterfinals a year ago. All-American forward Savannah Jordan returns for the Gators after tallying 19 goals and 46 points in 2014.
Sunday will be the first meeting between the Buckeyes and Gators.
PARADISO, WOLCOTT NAMED 2015 CAPTAINS
Senior Michela Paradiso and redshirt junior Morgan Wolcott have been named team captains, head coach Lori Walker announced Aug. 14. In addition, Walker also announced junior Lindsay Agnew will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
11 AT HOME...AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes 11 matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season with Big Ten action kicking off Sept. 17 against Minnesota. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 19th-year head coach Lori Walker. She has guided the team to nine NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 202-141-34 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 215-164-35.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 109-43-16 all-time.
- Ohio State is 90-26-14 since 2003 and 44-14-6 since 2009.
Ohio State hits the road to face Dayton at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 27 and Texas at 2 p.m. Aug. 30.