Student-Athlete Spotlight: Nicole Miyashiro, Women's Soccer
Nicole Miyashiro, a native of Laguna Niguel, California, is a junior on the women’s soccer team. Last season, she played in all 19 matches, starting all but one as an outside back. Miyashiro also recorded the most assists on her team in 2014 (five), which ranks her 10th in the conference. She was selected as an Academic All-Big Ten for last year and has been an Ohio State scholar athlete for the second consecutive year. This summer, Miyashiro kept busy with her Bucks Go Pro internship in the human resources department. She hopes to one day manage personal finances, specifically for sports and entertainment.
- What is the best time of year on campus? It’s best in the fall when it is nice out and oval beach is filled with people.
- What is your preferred mode of transportation to class? Getting dropped off by someone or driving. Sometimes walking after two-a- days doesn’t sound great.
- Have you switched your major? If so, how many times and why and if not, how did you know your major was “the one”? I’ve never switched my major, but I still don’t know if my major is “the one.” I still have to learn a lot more about finance but from what I do know, I enjoy it. Weird, I know.
- What has been your favorite or most interesting class at OSU? A class I took in the autumn called Yiddish. I had no idea what it was going to be about, but it turned out to be so interesting. It was all about the Holocaust and the Yiddish culture. I really liked learning about that time in history.
- If you had to give an incoming student advice, what would it be? Take advantage of all the things OSU has to offer. Go to a sporting event you’ve never seen, join some sort of club or volunteer around the community. This university has so much to offer and it’s always nice to do something out of your comfort zone every once in a while.
- What social media do you prefer the most? Twitter. It always keeps me updated on what’s going on in the world and with my friends.
- Would you rather read the book or watch the movie? I’d rather watch the movie just so there’s no disappointment if the book is way better.
- What song can you not help but sing-a-long to? Blank Space by Taylor Swift. It’s so overplayed, but I always catch myself singing along.
- When is your favorite time of your sport’s season? Definitely once Big Ten play starts after all of the two-a-days during preseason. There is nothing better than getting to compete within our conference and being able to come out on top.
- Which team do you most look forward to competing against? The Team Up North. It is always a battle when you’re playing against such a big time rival.
- Do you have any pre-game/match superstitions or rituals? I put my right shoe on first and then I tape my shin guards on the same way every time.
- What is your favorite part about your sport? My teammates are my favorite part. We come from all over the country and even Canada, so it is always cool getting to know people who are from different places. Without them, I wouldn’t be the player I am now.
- What is your favorite athletic memory? My favorite memory was getting moved up from the C team to the A team on my club when I was about 10 years old. Not many people believe there was a time when I was pretty bad at soccer.
- When you are not at practice, what could someone find you doing? They could find me at home on Yelp looking at the next best place to eat with the best reviews.
- Do you have a hidden talent? I recently hit a really good note while singing “See You Again.” My roommates were impressed and couldn’t believe it. So I guess singing certain lines well would be my hidden talent.
- If you could play another sport other than yours, what would it be? Volleyball, but I would also need to grow about 7 inches.
- If you won the lottery, what would you do? Invest it. (Remember, I’m a finance major)
- What do you most look forward to doing during the summer? Working with Bucks Go Pro. It was a great experience.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? Super speed!
- Do you have an interesting nickname? In high school, people called me Meesh and now in college people call me Shiro. Usually something that has to do with my last name.
- If you could switch places with anyone on your team for a day, who would you choose? Michela Paradiso because it would be cool to be a genius for the day. She’s going to be a brain surgeon some day.
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? To control the things I can. If there’s something out of my control, then work to accept it.
- If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be? If cars ever fly, I would love to see that in the future.
- Would you be the first O, H, I or last O in a picture? First O or H.
- What is your favorite part about being a Buckeye? The culture is unlike any place I’ve ever been. Anywhere I go in the world, there is always someone there to say I-O when I yell O-H! That is pretty special.
Buckeye Trio Named Scholar All-Americans