COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Eleanor Gabriel scored twice and the No. 12 Ohio State women's soccer team earned its sixth-consecutive shutout to run its win streak to six in a 2-0 victory over Maryland on a rainy Thursday night at Ludwig Field in College Park, Md. With the win, the Buckeyes improve to 12-2-1 overall, 7-1-0 in the Big Ten, while the Terrapins fall to 7-6-2, 1-6-1 in conference play.
"I'm really glad we scored early because this wasn't one of our best performances," Lori Walker-Hock, Ohio State head coach, said. "We came out flat in the second half and didn't take care of the ball. I'm glad we got the result but we can play much better. We have to do a better job of controlling the game but I feel good that we got the shutout and picked up a win on the road."
GABRIEL PUTS THE BUCKEYES ON THE BOARD
Less than 15 minutes into the contest, Nikki Walts gathered a long corner on the left wing, played a cross into the box that was flicked on by Meghan Kammerdeiner and Gabriel was wide open at the center of the box to finish from six yards for the 1-0 Buckeye lead.
EGYED THWARTS ANOTHER GABRIEL CHANCE
In the 33rd minute, a Haley Walker-Robinson cross from the right wing was headed back into the center of the box from the far post by Maddy Lowe but Gabriel's shot from eight yards at the center of the box was stopped on a diving attempt by Maryland goalkeeper Rachel Egyed.
WALTS OPENS SECOND 45 WITH AN OPPORTUNITY
In the 55th minute, Walts gathered outside the top of the box, took two dribbles to her left and ripped a left-footed blast from 25 yards that was deflected over the crossbar by Egyed.
GABRIEL DOUBLES BUCKEYE ADVANTAGE
In the 72nd minute, Gabriel gathered a loose ball at the top box and beat Egyed on a 1v1 chance from eight yards to make it a 2-0 contest with her second of the game.
Shots: Ohio State 10, Maryland 5
Saves: Maryland 3, Ohio State 1
Shots on Goal: Ohio State 5, Maryland 1
Corner Kicks: Maryland 6, Ohio State 3
- Ohio State is 12-0-0 on the year when scoring first after going 10-0-1 when scoring first a year ago.
- The Buckeyes are 34-1-2 when scoring at least two goals in a game since the start of 2014, including 8-0-0 in 2017.
- Ohio State goalkeeper Devon Kerr recorded her sixth-consecutive shutout, ninth of the season and 11th of her career against the Terrapins. The clean sheet ties her with Emily Haynam and Amber Barnes on the Buckeyes' single-season shutout list. Kerr also tied Katie Baumgardner for fifth on the Ohio State career clean sheet list.
- Walts moved into a tie for fourth on the Ohio State career assists list with 20, tying Nichelle Prince. She ties her previous career-high seven assists in a season set in 2015.
- Ohio State improved to 4-0-1 on the road in 2017, marking the best road start in program history, and topping the previous best start of 3-0-1 in 2010.
- The match marked the second time this season Gabriel scored twice in a game after doing so in a 3-0 win over Buffalo Aug. 26.
- The six-match win streak is the longest for the Buckeyes since they won six in a row from Aug. 24-Sept. 16, 2012.
- Ohio State allowed just one shot on frame for the third-consecutive contest.
Ohio State travels to No. 24 Rutgers at 1 p.m. Sunday.
Match: No. 12 Ohio State at Maryland
Date: Oct. 12, 2017
Venue: Ludwig Field - College Park, Md.
Kickoff: 7 p.m. ET
Weather: Rainy and 58 degrees