Student-Athlete Spotlight - MaryClare Stannard, Rowing
MaryClare Stannard is a junior on the three-time national champion women's rowing team. A native of River Forest, Ill., she was a 2015 Academic All-Big Ten selection and two-time OSU Scholar-Athlete. This past summer, she took part in the "Bucks Go Pro" program and worked in the business office.
- What is the best time of year on campus? Football season!! It is great when everyone on campus gets together to enjoy some great football with the reigning national champs.
- What is your preferred mode of transportation to class? Walking or biking
- Have you switched your major? If so, how many times and why and if not, how did you know your major was "the one"? No, I haven't switched from Business because I knew in high school that I am good at formulas and numbers, which helped me choose different things to get involved in, which ultimately helped me really seal my fate.
- What has been your favorite or most interesting class at OSU? Earth Sciences, Natural Disasters
- If you had to give an incoming student advice, what would it be? When you arrive on campus, they really emphasize the opportunities that are offered here. They want you to go out and try everything. However, there are so many organizations and clubs that you would stretch yourself so thin if you really did. Think of things that really, truly interest you and pursue them. You will have a great experience meeting people that are into that same things as you, and will help you build friendships outside of your dorm. Also, when you move in, keep your door open, it will show other people that you are welcoming and want to meet new people. You may make tons of new friends on the first day!
- What social media do you prefer the most? Instagram
- Which do you watch more: Netflix or TV? Netflix
- Would you rather read the book or watch the movie? Watch the movie
- What song can you not help but sing-a-long to? Turn Down for What
- What was the last movie that you saw in theaters? Spy
- When is your favorite time of your sport's season? Racing season is the best time, because all of the winter training is over. It is now time to show everyone in the nation what you are capable of. This is when you come together as a team and really work together.
- Which team do you most look forward to competing against? Michigan is always a great competitor because they always put up a good fight.
- What is your favorite part about your sport? My favorite part is the fact that we all bond really well as a team. We all push each other to new levels and keep each other accountable. In the end, relationships are created and we all become better people by learning from each other. We really do act like a family.
- What is your favorite athletic memory? Winning the third consecutive national title!
- When you are not at practice, what could someone find you doing? Sleeping or eating
- Do you have a hidden talent? No, not really.
- If you could play another sport other than yours, what would it be? Probably tennis.
- If you won the lottery, what would you do? I would go buy a boat and a truck to pull it.
- What do you most look forward to doing during the summer? I really look forward to spending a lot of time with my friends and do things that I do not really have time for during the regular year.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? It would be to teleport, because I would love to travel the world without the time it takes to travel.
- Do you have an interesting nickname? Yeah a lot of my friends call me MerCler because apparently three syllables is too much for people.
- If you could switch places with anyone on your team for a day, who would you choose? I would switch places with my teammate named Anna, because I want to know what it's like to be a cheese enthusiast.
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? Try everything, because then you will truly know what you do and do not like.
- If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be? I would have loved to watch Michael Jordan play for the Bulls.
- Would you be the first O, H, I or last O in a picture? I would definitely be the H.
- What is your favorite part about being a Buckeye? I love the culture of Buckeye Nation. It is filled with tons of amazing and loving people that will always help you up and party when there is a celebration. No matter where you go in the world, you have the possibility of running into another Buckeye.