Senior Danica Deckard
Aug. 18, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State field hockey team defeated Ohio, 3-2, Saturday afternoon in an exhibition at Buckeye Varsity Field. Senior captain Danica Deckard guided the Buckeyes to victory, claiming all three goals for the hat trick vs. the Bobcats.
A couple of notes from Saturday’s exhibition:
- Goalkeeper Emma Voelker made three saves in the first half.
- Ohio State tied the game, 1-1, following a goal by Deckard, who blasted a shot in front of goal into the back left corner of the cage at 32:04. Junior back Christina Shea claimed the assist.
- Freshman Peanut Johnson started for the Buckeyes in her first contest in the Scarlet and Gray.
- The Buckeyes held a 12-5 advantage in shots in the first half and a 5-3 advantage in penalty corners.
- Junior Paula Pastor-Pitarque had a solid opportunity to tie the game in the second half when she dribbled through the OU defense into the middle of the circle, but her shot went just wide right of the cage in the 50th minute. Senior back Laura Napolitano had another opportunity for the Buckeyes during the 62nd minute, but her shot was denied by a Bobcat defensive save in front of goal.
- Deckard tied the game, 2-2, on an unassisted goal at 60:19. The Buckeye senior found space inside the circle and flicked a shot pass the OU goalkeeper into the back right of the cage.
- Deckard claimed her hat trick on a penalty stroke at 65:20. Overall, Deckard notched nine shots vs. the Bobcats.
- Overall, Ohio State held an 18-10 lead on shots and a 9-6 advantage in corners.
The Buckeyes begin the 2012 campaign on the road, traveling to Durham, N.H., to face UMass Aug. 25 before taking on New Hampshire Aug. 26.
No. 6 Louisville Edges Ohio State, 2-1
WATCH LIVE: Ohio State vs. Northwestern