PREVIEW: #10/12 Ohio State vs. Virginia
Dec. 20, 2015
#10/12 Ohio State vs. Virginia
Date: December 21, 2015 | Time: 7:00 p.m. | Venue: Value City Arena | Location: Columbus, Ohio
Online: BTN Plus
Radio: 1460 AM
- The Buckeyes will look to close non-conference play in style this Monday when they host Virginia.
- Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET from Value City Arena.
- Ohio State has won three-straight and enters the game with a 7-3 mark overall. The Buckeyes three losses to come to the top-3 teams in the country.
- Virginia has also won three-straight following an 85-65 victory over Charleston Southern last Friday. The Cavaliers are 8-3 on the year.
- The game will be streamed online on BTN Plus. Marc Finch and George Reese will have the call.
- The games can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
- The Buckeyes are second in the conference and eighth in the country in scoring at 85.2 ppg.
- Ohio State has shot 50 percent or better from the floor in six of the last seven games.
- The Buckeyes shot a season-high 57.1 percent last time out against Princeton.
- Behind Alexa Hart and Lisa Blair, the Buckeyes lead the conference in blocked shots per game (5.4).
- The Buckeyes have faced four top-10 teams already this season, including teams 1, 2 and 3.
- Senior Ameryst Alston and sophomore Kelsey Mitchell were each named to the preseason Wooden and Naismith Award Watch Lists.
- Mitchell and Alston are one of the top-scoring duos in the country, averaging a combined 43.3 points per game.
- When Mitchell and Alston each score 20 points in a game, the Buckeyes are 15-3 including 5-1 this season.
- Alston moved into the top-10 in school-history for career points with 1,749. She is just four points away from eight place on the career list.
- The Cavaliers opened the season with five-straight wins before dropping three-straight.
- Since that drought, Virginia has won three-straight games and is 8-3 on the year after downing Charleston Southern 85-65 last Friday.
- The Cavaliers have started the same starting five of Mikayla Venson, Faith Randolph, Lauren Moses, Breyana Mason and Sydney Umeri all season.
- Venson and Randolph are both averaging more than 13 points per game while Moses is grabbing 7.2 rpg to go along with 10.6 ppg.
- As a team, Virginia is forcing opponents into more than 20 turnovers per game.
- This will be the ninth meeting all-time between Ohio State and Virginia.
- The Buckeyes hold a 6-2 edge in the series dating back to the 1982-83 season.
- Ohio State had its three-game winning streak against the Hoos snapped last year as Virginia won the season-opener for both teams 87-82 in Charlottesville.
- This will be the fourth meeting in Columbus. The Buckeyes have won the previous three meetings, including a 74-46 romp in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in 2010.
- Head coach Kevin McGuff is 0-1 all-time against the Cavaliers as he and the Buckeyes fell in the 2014-15 season-opener in Charlottesville 87-82.
- In a great back and forth battle down the stretch, Virginia was able to capitalize late and pulled out an 87-82 victory over Ohio State in the season-opener for both teams on Nov. 14, 2014 in Charlottesville.
- Junior guard Ameryst Alston led the Buckeyes on the night with 27 points on 5-of-8 shooting from beyond the arc.
- Freshman point guard Kelsey Mitchell rebounded from a slow start to finish with 26 points and four assists.
- Fellow junior Cait Craft finished with 10 points in 39 minutes while freshman Alexa Hart added seven points and a team-high nine rebounds.
- Asia Doss had seven points, seven rebounds and a team-high six assists in her first collegiate game.
- For Virginia, Sarah Imovbioh led the way with 18 points and a school-record 24 rebounds. Faith Randolph had 25 points and five assists.
- The game featured nine ties and 18 lead changes, most of them in the second half. Virginia led 51-40 on the boards and took advantage of nine Ohio State turnovers to score 15 points.
- The game was tied with a minute to play when Faith Randolph connected on a jumper for Virginia. Two misses for the Buckeyes was followed by four Cavalier free throws which gave UVA the cushion it needed.
- The Buckeyes hold a 42-20 mark all-time against current members of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
- The most recent meeting was a 75-72 setback to Notre Dame this year in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
- The Buckeyes are 2-7 all-time in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
- Ohio State was 2-3 against Maryland while the Terrapins were members of the ACC.
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule