PREVIEW: #10/12 Ohio State vs. Princeton
#10/12 Ohio State vs. Princeton
Date: December 18, 2015 | Time: 7:00 p.m. | Venue: Value City Arena | Location: Columbus, Ohio
Online: BTN Plus
Radio: 1460 AM
Setting the Scene
- With finals week in the rear-view mirror, the Buckeyes will focus on closing out the non-conference schedule against a pair of tough opponents beginning with Ivy League foe Princeton on Friday.
- Tip-off with the Tigers is set for 7 p.m. ET from Value City Arena.
- Ohio State has won two-straight and enters the game ranked No. 10 in the AP poll and No. 12 in the coaches poll. The Buckeyes are 6-3 overall.
- Princeton has lost just once this season and is coming-off a 55-44 victory over Fordham on Monday.
- The game will be streamed online on BTN Plus. Marc Finch and George Reese will have the call.
- The games can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Noting The Buckeyes
- The Buckeyes are second in the conference and sixth in the country in scoring at 84.7 ppg.
- Ohio State has shot 50 percent or better from the floor in five of the last six games.
- Forward Alexa Hart recorded her first double-double (14p, 11r) of the season in the win over NC A&T last Sunday.
- Hart has also blocked at least one shot in 29-straight games.
- Behind Hart and Lisa Blair, the Buckeyes lead the country in blocked shots per game (5.6).
- The Buckeyes have faced four top-10 teams already this season, including teams 1, 2 and 3.
- Senior Ameryst Alston and sophomore Kelsey Mitchell were each named to the preseason Wooden and Naismith Award Watch Lists.
- Mitchell and Alston are one of the top-scoring duos in the country, averaging a combined 42.3 points per game.
- When Mitchell and Alston each score 20 points in a game, the Buckeyes are 14-3 including 4-1 this season.
- The Tigers have been the class of the Ivy League in recent years and this year looks no different.
- Princeton has started the year 9-1 with its only loss coming to in-state foe Seton Hall.
- Dating back to last season, the Tigers have lost just two game. They were a perfect 30-0 in the regular season before losing to No. 1-seed Maryland in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Princeton has won five of the last six Ivy League Championships.
- The Tigers have started the same starting lineup in all 10 games and the five starters are the team's five leading scorers.
- Annie Tarakchian leads the team in scoring and rebounding at 13.5 ppg and 9.4 rpg.
- Michelle Miller and Alex Wheatley each average better than 12 points per game while Amanda Berntsen is averaging 10.5 ppg and tops the team with 36 assists.
- The Tigers are shooting over 45 percent from the floor as a team and are out-rebounding their opponents by more than 15 rebounds per game.
Series History vs. Princeton
- Ohio State and Princeton have met one time previously with the Buckeyes coming out on the winning end.
- OSU won 87-58 in the opening game of the Princeton Invitational on Dec. 21, 1979 in Princeton, N.J.
McGuff vs. Princeton
- Head coach Kevin McGuff will be coaching against Princeton for the first time in his career.
Buckeyes vs. The Ivy League
- The Buckeyes are a combined 5-1 all-time in games against one of the nation’s oldest conferences.
- The lone loss was a 66-52 setback on Nov. 26, 1999 at Harvard as part of the Harvard Invitational.
- The most recent game against an Ivy League team was an 80-43 win over Yale in the Buckeye Classic on Nov. 27, 2004.
- Ohio State has outscored its Ivy League opponents by nearly 21 points per game in the previous six meetings.