Ohio State Hosts Arkansas State For First Time
Ohio State vs. Arkansas State
Date: Sunday, December 11, 2014 | Time: 7:00 p.m. ET | Venue: Value City Arena | Location: Columbus, Ohio
Radio: ESPN 1460AM
Setting the Scene
- Ohio State will tangle with Arkansas State on Thursday, Dec. 11, in the first meeting between the two schools.
- Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. from Value City Arena.
- The Buckeyes (5-4) are playing their third game of a five-game home stand. OSU comes into the game off a 66-52 victory over Winthrop last Sunday.
- Arkansas State has won its last two games, including a 57-52 victory over former Buckeye head coach Jim Foster and UT Chattanooga.
- The game will be streamed live online for a fee on Buckeye Vision.
- The game can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Last Time Out
- Freshman Kelsey Mitchell scored 26 points and Ohio State held Winthrop to just 25 points in the second half as the Buckeyes got back on track with a 66-52 victory last Sunday.
- Mitchell did most of her damage in the first half as she was 6-of-9 from the floor for 17 points.
- Junior Ameryst Alston also finished in double-figures with 12 points and five rebounds.
- Cait Craft tied a season-high with five assists to go along with eight points and six rebounds.
- Freshman Alexa Hart also had eight points while grabbing nine rebounds and blocking six shots.
- Aliyah Kilpatrick led the Eagles with 16 points, four steals and three assists.
- After trailing most of the first half, Craft started the second half with a three-pointer to give the Buckeyes the lead and it never trailed the rest of the way.
- The key run came four minutes into the second half as the Buckeyes broke open a one-point game with a 13-2 run, keyed by eight points from Alston.
- Ohio State then sealed the deal with a 12-0 run midway through the second half which was started by an offensive rebound and put back by Alston. Hart, Mitchell, Asia Doss and Amy Scullion all had buckets in the spurt.
A Quick Look At Arkansas State
- Arkansas State has opened the year at 3-2 with wins over Jackson State, Christian Brothers and UT Chattanooga while dropping contests at Mississippi State and Colorado.
- Aundrea Gamble is averaging over 20 points and is shooting over 55 percent from the floor in the early part of the season.
- Khadi Brown-Haywood is the other Red Wolf averaging in double-figures as she is scoring 11.6 ppg and has a team-high 11 steals.
- Head coach Brian Boyer is in his 16th season at Arkansas State and is the Sun Belt Conference all-time wins leader.
Series History vs. Arkansas State
- Thursday's game will be the first meeting between Ohio State and Arkansas State.
McGuff vs. The Red Wolves
- Head coach Kevin McGuff has never coached against Arkansas State.