PREVIEW: #10/12 Ohio State at Cincinnati
#10/12 Ohio State at Cincinnati
Date: December 6, 2015 | Time: 1:00 p.m. | Venue: Fifth Third Arena | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
TV: CBS Sports Network
Radio: 1460 AM
Setting the Scene
- The Buckeyes will look for Ohio bragging rights this Sunday when it travels to face in-state rival Cincinnati.
- Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. ET from the Fifth Third Arena.
- Ohio State comes into the game with a 4-3 mark after dropping a heart-breaker last Wednesday at No. 3 Notre Dame 75-72.
- The Bearcats opened the season with three-straight wins but has since lost three-straight and is an even 3-3 on the year.
- The game will be televised on the CBS Sports Network. Jason Horowitz and Debbie Antonelli will have the call.
- The games can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Noting The Buckeyes
- Sophomore Kelsey Mitchell was named the national Player of the Week after scoring an OSU record tying 42 points in the win over No. 10/9 Texas A&M last weekend.
- Mitchell became the quickest Big Ten player to reach 1,000 career points as she hit the mark in her 41st game.
- Forward Alexa Hart has blocked at least one shot in 27-straight games. Hart swatted a single-season school record 129 shots last season.
- Shayla Cooper has a pair of double-doubles on the year as well as a pair of games with 15 rebounds.
- The Buckeyes have faced four top-10 teams already this season, including teams 1, 2 and 3.
- Ohio State was the first team in NCAA history to open a season against the top two ranked teams in the country.
- Senior Ameryst Alston and sophomore Kelsey Mitchell were each named to the preseason Wooden Award Watch List.
- Cincinnati opened the year with three wins but has since dropped three-straight to Baylor, Michigan State and Detroit.
- Three Bearcats are averaging in double-figures led by Ana Owens at 15.4 points per game. She also tops the team with 24 assists.
- Jasmine Whitfield is averaging 14.2 points per contest and is leading the squad in rebounding at 6.5 rpg.
- Alyesha Lovett is the third UC player in double-figures at 11.5 ppg and has a total of 15 assists and 11 assists through the first six games.
- The Bearcats are shooting just 36 percent from the field as a team and are getting out-rebounded by their opponents by over seven boards a game.
Series History vs. Cincinnati
- Ohio State leads the all-time series with its in-state rival 16-4.
- The Buckeyes won the first eight games in the series from 1973 through 1980.
- The teams last had a home and home series in 2012 and 2013 with each team winning on its home floor.
- The Buckeyes are 4-3 all-time in games played in Cincinnati. The Bearcats won the most recent meeting in the series 64-49 in Cincinnati in 2013.
- Ohio State holds an 8-1 edge in games played in Columbus.
McGuff vs. Cincinnati
- Head coach Kevin McGuff is an even 5-5 in his 10 previous games against Cincinnati.
- Nine of the 10 games came while he was the head coach at cross-town rival Xavier. He was 5-4 in those nine contests.
- McGuff was the head coach of the Buckeyes during the Ohio State-Cincinnati game in 2013.
Buckeyes vs. The State of Ohio
- The Buckeyes are 150-21 all-time against teams from Ohio.
- Cincinnati is the only team on Ohio State’s schedule this year from the state of Ohio.
- Ohio State is 35-4 all-time on the road against in-state foes.
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule