Buckeyes Open The Season At Virginia
Date: Friday, November 14, 2014
Time: 7:00 p.m. ET
Venue: John Paul Jones Arena
Location: Charlottesville, Va.
Radio: ESPN 1460AM
Setting The Scene
• Ohio State begins the 2014-15 season on Friday night as it heads to Charlottesville, Va., to take on ACC-foe Virginia.
• Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. from John Paul Jones Arena.
• It will be the first game of the season for both teams.
• Fans can listen to the game in the Columbus area on ESPN 1460 AM or for free online at www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Neil Sika and Toni Roesch will have the call.
• The game will be streamed live online for a fee on www.VirginiaSports.com.
OSU In Season Openers
• Ohio State is 38-11 in season openers.
• The Buckeyes have won 18 of their last 19 season openers, with the only setback during that stretching coming to No. 7 Notre Dame at the 2012 Carrier Classic.
• Ohio State has not lost a home opener since 1985.
• Last season, the Buckeyes beat West Virginia 70-61 in Morgantown for Coach McGuff’s first win as a Buckeye.
McGuff in Openers
• Head coach Kevin McGuff is 9-3 all-time in his career in season openers
• He went 7-2 at Xavier, which included wins over the likes of Louisville, Florida, Southern California and South Carolina, and went 1-1 at Washington.
• Last year in his first season at the helm, he led the Buckeyes to a 70-61 victory at West Virginia.
Opening on the Road
• Ohio State is opening the regular season on an opponent’s home court for the second-straight season.
• The Buckeyes topped West Virginia 70-61 on the road last season.
• Since 1980, Ohio State has opened on an opponent’s home court 14 times and holds a record of 11-3 in those games.
• The Buckeyes have won seven-straight road season-openers with the last loss coming at Georgia, 79-70 in 1994.
A Little Bit About Virginia
• Virginia is coming of a 14-17 season that saw the Cavaliers win an opening round game in the ACC Tournament.
• The Cavaliers are predicted to finish 10th in the 15-team ACC this season.
• Head coach Joanne Boyle is beginning her fourth season with the Cavaliers. She has a record of 55-42 at Virginia and a career mark of 259-135 with five NCAA Tournament appearances in 12 seasons.
• Senior Sarah Imovbioh had 10 double-doubles last year while averaging 12.3 points and 8.2 rebounds per game. Her 4.0 offensive rebounds per game was tops in the ACC last season.
Series History vs. Virginia
• This will be the eight meeting all-time between Ohio State and Virginia.
• The Buckeyes hold a 6-1 edge in the series dating back to the 1982-83 season.
• Ohio State has won three-straight in the series after dropping its only contest to the Hoos in 1994.
• The Buckeyes swept a home-and-home series in 2001 and 2002 then most recently knocked-off Virginia 74-46 in the 2010 ACC/Big Ten Challenge played in Columbus.
Last Time Out
• The Buckeyes downed Eckerd in exhibition action last Sunday, 92-73 at Value City Arena.
• Ohio State used a 22-4 run midway through the first half to break open a close game and was comfortably in control the rest of way.
• Junior Ameryst Alston led the way with a double-double, scoring a team-high 20 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.
• All seven available players saw action on Sunday and all seven scored at least four points.
• The Buckeyes made 24-of-27 free throws compared to just eight FTs for the Tritons.
• The Buckeyes return home to host St. Francis in the team’s regular season home opener at Value City Arena.
• Ohio State is 2-0 all-time against St. Francis, winning in the NCAA Tournament in 2010 and again at the Schottenstein center in 2012.
Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule