#3 Ohio State vs #14 Buffalo
Date: March 17, 2016 | Time: 2:30 p.m. | Venue: St. John Arena | Location: Columbus, Ohio
Radio: 1460 AM
Setting The Scene
- Ohio State has earned a No. 3 seed in the Sioux Falls Region and will host No. 14 seed Buffalo in the opening round on Friday.
- Tip-off is set for 2:30 p.m. ET at St. John Arena.
- The Buckeyes are hosting an NCAA Tournament game for the first time since 2011 and enter the contest with a 24-7 record.
- Buffalo is making its first NCAA Tournament appearance after rolling through the MAC Tournament as the No. 8-seed. The Bulls are 20-13 on the season.
- The winner will play the winner of the No. 6 seed West Virginia and No. 11 seed Princeton in the second round on Sunday.
- The game will be televised on ESPN 2. Brenda VanLengen and Buckeye legend Katie Smith will have the call.
- The game can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Buckeyes In The NCAA Tournament
- Ohio State is making its 23rd NCAA Tournament appearance.
- OSU has an overall record of 24-22 in the NCAA Tournament.
- The Buckeyes have failed to get out of the first round just six times in their previous 22 appearances.
- OSU has made the Sweet 16 seven times (1986, 1988, 1989, 1993, 2005, 2009, 2011).
- The Buckeyes have been to the Elite 8 three times (1985, 1987, 1993).
- The best tournament run for the Buckeyes was their runner-up finish in 1993.
- This is just the fourth time the Buckeyes have earned a No. 3-seed and the first since 2009.
- Ohio State went 1-1 as a 3-seed in both 1988 and 1989 and then advanced to the Sweet 16 as a 3-seed in 2009.
- The Big Ten Conference teams have gone 15-3 in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament over the last three seasons.
- Ameryst Alston averaged 29 points, 6.0 assists and was 19-of-23 in her first two NCAA Tournament games last season.
- Alexa Hart recorded double-doubles in each of her first two NCAA Tournament games, averaging 17.5 points, 11.5 rebounds and 4.0 blocks in those games.
- Kelsey Mitchell averaged 24 points, 5.0 assists and 4.0 rebounds in the two NCAA Tournament games last season.
Noting The Buckeyes
- Ohio State is third in the country in scoring at 86.7 ppg.
- The 86.7 ppg puts the Buckeyes on pace to shatter the school's single-season scoring record of 83.2 ppg which was set by the program's only Final Four team of 1992-93.
- The Buckeyes schedule was ranked the third-hardest in the NCAA this season.
- Ohio State is sixth in the country in shooting percentage at 47.7.
- The Buckeyes finished the regular season with a 14-1 record at home, winning its last 14-straight games.
- Alexa Hart is fourth in the country in shooting percentage at 63.4 percent.
- Hart shot a conference-best 68.0 percent in Big Ten play.
- Senior Ameryst Alston and sophomore Kelsey Mitchell were each named to the Late-season Wooden Top 20 as well as Naismith Award Semifinalists.
- Mitchell was also named to the Ann Meyers Drysdale Midseason watch list and is a Nancy Lieberman Award Finalist.
- Mitchell is fourth in the country at 25.7 ppg and Alston is 49th at 18.6 ppg. They combine for 44.3 ppg which is the 2nd-highest total in the country.
- Mitchell scored a Big Ten Tournament single-game record 43 points in the win over Rutgers in the quarterfinals.
- Alston is fourth in school-history with 2,138 career points. She is just the sixth Buckeye to reach the 2,000 point milestone.
- When Mitchell and Alston each score 20 points in a game, the Buckeyes are 22-4, including 12-2 this season.
- In just over a season and a half, Mitchell is already 11th on OSU's career scoring chart at 1,670 points.
- Shayla Cooper has a team-high 9 double-doubles this year.
- The Buckeyes have scored over 90 points 14 times this season and are 13-1 in those games.
History vs. Buffalo
- Friday's game will be the first-ever meeting on the basketball court between Ohio State and Buffalo.
- The Bulls have won five-straight games and come into the tournament with a 20-13 record.
- Buffalo was the 8-seed in the MAC Tournament and went on to win its first tournament crown.
- The Bulls beat MAC regular season champion Ohio three times during the season, including in the opening round of the tournament.
- Joanna Smith tops the team and is fourth in the MAC in scoring at 18.4 ppg and has made 97 three-pointers on the year.
- Stephanie Reid is the other Bull averaging in double-figures at 10.5 ppg and has a team-high 166 assists.
- Reid's runner at the buzzer won the MAC Tournament title 73-71 over Central Michigan.
History vs. West Virginia/Princeton
- Should the Buckeyes advance pas the opening round, they will meet the winner of the West Virginia and Princeton game.
- Ohio State is 12-0 all-time against West Virginia including wins in both ends of a home-and-home series in 2014 and 2015. The Buckeyes won 96-54 over WVU last year in Columbus.
- The Buckeyes downed Princeton earlier this season 90-70 on Dec. 18 in Columbus.
- That was just the second meeting between the Buckeyes and Tigers. OSU has won both meetings.
NCAA Tournament in Columbus
- This will be the 12th time Ohio State has hosted the NCAA Tournament opening round games.
- The Buckeyes have a record of 11-2 in their previous 10 years of hosting games.
- Ohio State hosted the first and second round games of the 2013 tournament but did not receive a bid to participate.