#7/7 Ohio State vs. Northwestern
Date: January 28, 2016 | Time: 7:00 p.m. | Venue: Value City Arena | Location: Columbus, Ohio
Radio: 1460 AM
Setting The Scene
- The Buckeyes will be seeking revenge in both of its games this week and the quest starts on Thursday when they host Northwestern.
- Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET from Value City Arena.
- The Buckeyes haven't lost since dropping its only B1G game of the season at Northwestern on Jan. 14. Ohio State has won three-straight and is 15-4 overall and 7-1 in the conference.
- Northwestern on the other hand hasn't won since its win over the Buckeyes on Jan. 14. The Wildcats are on a three-game skid and enter the game with a 13-7 mark overall and a 2-6 record in B1G play.
- The game will be televised on the Big Ten Network. Lisa Byington and Stephanie White will have the call.
- The game can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Noting The Buckeyes
- The Buckeyes lead the conference and are third in the country in scoring at 85.9 ppg.
- Ohio State is ranked 7th in both the AP poll and coaches polls.
- The Buckeyes had their school-record streak of 11-straight games of 80 or more points stopped at Rutgers on Jan. 24.
- Ohio State has made 40 three-point field goals in the last four games.
- Ohio State grabbed 50 rebounds against Indiana on Jan. 7, marking the first 50-rebound game for the team since Dec. 14, 2010.
- Alexa Hart is shooting 71.6 percent (73-of-102) from the floor over the last 12 games.
- Since the start of conference play, Hart leads the conference in shooting percentage at 68.6.
- Senior Ameryst Alston and sophomore Kelsey Mitchell were each named to the Mid-season Wooden Top 20 and the preseason Naismith Award Watch Lists.
- Mtichell was also named to the Ann Meyers Drysdale Midseason watch list.
- Mitchell is third in the country at 25.2 ppg and Alston is 50th at 18.4 ppg.
- Mitchell has made 20 three-point FGs in the last four games.
- When Mitchell and Alston each score 20 points in a game, the Buckeyes are 19-3, including 9-1 this season.
- Alston is 7th in school history with 1,910 career points. She is 2 points away from 6th and 90 away from 2,000.
- Alston has made two three-pointer FGs in each of the last seven games.
- In just over a season and a half, Mitchell is already 19th on OSU’s career scoring chart at 1,352 points.
- The Buckeyes have faced five top-10 teams already this season, including all four of last year’s Final Four teams.
- After opening the year with 10-straight wins, the Wildcats have found the sledding a bit difficult as of late, losing six of their first eight conference games.
- NW comes into the game at 17-7 overall and just 2-6 in the B1G.
- One of Northwestern's conference wins did come against the Buckeyes two weeks ago.
- The Wildcats are led by a quartet of players who are all averaging more than 13 points per games.
- Outside of the top four, no other Wildcat is averaging more than 4.0 ppg.
- Nia Coffey is the only player in the Big Ten averaging a double-double. She tops the team with 19.8 ppg and is leading the Big Ten at 10.3 rpg.
- Sharp-shooter Maggie Lyon has made 47 three-point field goals and is second on the team at 16.1 ppg. She torched the Buckeyes in the first meeting this season with five three-pointers.
- Christen Inman has a solid 3.0 assist-to-turnover ratio and is scoring 14.9 ppg.
- Ashley Deary leads the country in steals per game at 4.5 and also tops the conference with 133 assists to go along with 13.8 ppg.
Series History vs. Northwestern
- The Buckeyes and Wildcats are meeting for the 61st time with Ohio State holding a 42-18 edge in the series.
- The Bucks have dominated the series as of late, winning 24 of the last 27 meetings dating back to 2000.
- The Wildcats swept the season series in 2011 and are looking to do it again this season after winning the first meeting 86-82 in Evanston two weeks ago.
- Ohio State is 22-6 all-time in games played in Columbus.
McGuff vs. Northwestern
- Head coach Kevin McGuff is now 3-1 all-time against Northwestern
- McGuff and the Buckeyes won twice against the Wildcats in his first season and then bested the Cats last year. He then lost the first meeting this season.
Stingy With The Ball
- Ohio State and Northwestern come into Thursday's game as the two top teams in the conference in turnover margin.
- NW has a +7.0 mark while the Buckeyes are second at +4.5.
- The Wildcats lead the conference and are ninth in the country with 223 steals on the season.
Last Meeting vs. Northwestern
- After leading wire-to-wire in their last win, the Buckeyes fell behind Northwestern early and weren't quite able to get out of the hole, dropping their first B1G game 86-82.
- Ohio State trailed by as many as 23 points in the third quarter but cut the lead all the way down to four in the wanning seconds.
- The 23-point deficit was the second-largest deficit of the season.
- The loss snapped the Buckeyes' season-long eight-game win streak.
- Alexa Hart notched her fourth double-double of the season and the 17th of her career with 14 points and a season-high 14 rebounds
- Over the last nine games, Hart is shooting 73.1 percent (57-of-78) from the floor
- Kelsey Mitchell scored a game-high 28 points and moves 19th place in school history with 1,276 career points
- With her season-high tying six three-point field goals, Mitchell moves into ninth place in school history with 177
- Shayla Cooper matched her career-high with 23 points to go along with seven rebounds, two blocks and two steals
- Buckeyes lost the battle in the 44-42, marking the first time in the last 11 games they have failed to win the battle down low
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule