PREVIEW: #5/5 Ohio State vs. Indiana
#5/5 Ohio State vs. Indiana
Date: January 7, 2016 | Time: 7:00 p.m. | Venue: Value City Arena | Location: Columbus, Ohio
Online: BTN Plus
Radio: 1460 AM
Setting The Scene
- The Buckeyes look for the seventh-straight victory Thursday night when it hosts Indiana.
- Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. from Value City Arena.
- Ohio State is coming off a great weekend that saw them nab a pair of victories over ranked B1G teams. The Buckeyes come in with an overall record of 10-3 and are ranked 5th in the two polls.
- Indiana dropped is B1G opener but rebounded last Sunday with an overtime win over Michigan. That brought the Hoosiers record to 9-5 overall and 1-1 in the conference
- The game will be streamed live online on BTN Plus.
- The game can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Noting The Buckeyes
- The Buckeyes are second in the conference and sixth in the country in scoring at 85.4 ppg.
- Ohio State is ranked 5th in the latest AP poll, marking the first time being in the top-5 since Jan. 31, 2010.
- The Buckeyes have won a season-high six games in a row and are forcing 19.8 turnovers per game during the streak.
- In its last two games, Ohio State has forced No. 22 Michigan State into 21 turnovers and No. 5 Maryland into 20 turnover.
- Senior Ameryst Alston and sophomore Kelsey Mitchell were each named to the preseason Wooden and Naismith Award Watch Lists.
- Mitchell and Alston are the top-scoring duo in the country, averaging a combined 44.0 points per game.
- Mitchell is second in the country at 24.7 ppg and Alston is 39th at 19.0 ppg. They are the second-highest scoring duo in the country.
- When Mitchell and Alston each score 20 points in a game, the Buckeyes are 17-3, including 7-1 this season.
- Alston is 10 points away from moving into 7th all-time on the school’s career scoring list. She currently has 1,808 career points.
- The Buckeyes have faced five top-10 teams already this season, including all four of last year’s Final Four teams.
- The Hoosiers come into the game with a record of 9-5 overall and 1-1 in the conference.
- Indiana dropped its B1G opener at Wisconsin but rebounded last Sunday with a 77-69 overtime victory over Michigan in Bloomington.
- As a team, the Hoosiers are averaging 70.3 ppg and are shooting better than 43 percent from the floor.
- Indiana has done well in getting fouled and not fouling. The Hoosiers lead the conference and are 9th in the country in free throws made (16.4 per game) and they are third in the conference in fewest fouls committed.
- Tyra Buss is a large reason for the free throw success as she is tops in the conference and third in the country in both free throws attempted and free throws made. Buss leads the team at 19.2 ppg.
- Amanda Cahill is averaging 13.6 ppg and tops the team at 7.6 rebounds per game.
- Alexis Gassion is the third Hoosier averaging in double-figures at 12.6 points per contest.
Series History vs. Indiana
- The Buckeyes lead the all-time series with Indiana 52-21.
- The Hoosiers enjoyed its longest win-streak in the series of five games from 2000-03 but since then, it’s been dominated by the Buckeyes.
- Ohio State has won 19 of the last 21 meetings including each of the last eight.
- This will be the 35th meeting in Columbus where the Buckeyes have a 30-4 edge in the series.
- Last year, the Buckeyes rolled past the Hoosiers 103-49 in Bloomington and then gutted-out a 78-70 victory in Columbus.
McGuff vs. Indiana
- Head coach Kevin McGuff is 4-0 all-time against Indiana with three of the four wins coming at Assembly Hall.
- He has guided the Buckeyes to a pair of wins in Bloomington and he also led his Xavier squad in the 2008-09 season to a win in Bloomington in the first round of the preseason WNIT.
Last Year vs. Indiana
- The Buckeyes picked up a pair of wins over the Hoosiers last year in very different fashion.
- The first win was a 103-49 whooping on Jan. 8, 2015 at Assembly Hall.
- The Buckeyes set the tone early with a 21-2 run out of the gate.
- The 103 points were not only the most points for an OSU team in Assembly Hall but it was the most points ever for an OSU team against Indiana, besting the previous record 81.
- The 54-point margin of victory was the most-ever for a Buckeye team over a B1G opponent.
- Ameryst Alston led five Buckeyes in double-figures with 27 points. She also added six assists and four rebounds.
- Ohio State shot 63.1 percent from the floor, which was its best shooting performance of the year. It held IU to just 28 percent shooting and forced 18 turnovers.
- The Buckeyes were also 10-of-16 from long range for a season-best 62.5 percent.
- The second couldn’t have been much different.
- The Hoosiers made seven three-pointers in the opening 20 minutes and the Buckeyes led by just one at the break.
- But just seven minutes into the second half, Ohio State had pushed the lead to double-digits and would grind out a 78-70 victory.
- Mitchell and Alston each scored a game-high 24 points. Mitchell made six three-pointers and Alston tied a then season-high with six assists and also pulled-down eight rebounds.