LINCOLN, Neb. – Road wins in conference play are worth their weight in gold and the Buckeyes are coming back to Columbus with a bounty as they opened Big Ten play Thursday night with a 73-61 victory at Nebraska.
Kelsey Mitchell, who scored a game-high 25 points, and Stephanie Mavunga combined to score the Buckeyes final nine points in the last three minutes to seal the 11-point win. Mavunga grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds to go with her eight points.
Senior Asia Doss scored nine points, grabbed a season-high tying six rebounds and snatched a career-high seven steals. Linnae Harper scored four of her 14 points at the start of the fourth quarter to stem a Nebraska run and keep the Buckeyes’ lead in double-digits.
Sierra Calhoun made three three-pointers and finished with 13 points.
The Buckeyes went on a 14-1 run midway through the first quarter to open up a 12-point lead. The scoring slowed in the second quarter as the teams combined for just 21 points. Ohio State, paced by 13 points from Mitchell, led 34-24 at halftime.
The Buckeyes came out of the break and shot 56 percent in the third quarter to open up as much as a 19-point advantage in the third quarter. At the start of the fourth, the Huskers would go on a 7-0 run to cut the lead to 60-49 with 7:20 to play.
Nebraska got within eight on a couple of occasions but Mitchell hit a big three and Mavunga had a big rebound and put-back to end the Huskers’ threat.
- The Buckeyes have now won five-straight against Nebraska which includes three-straight wins in Lincoln.
- Asia Doss had a career-high seven steals to go with a season-high tying six rebounds
- Sierra Calhoun made three three-pointers, marking her fifth-straight game with at least three three-pointers.
- This was Stephanie Mavunga’s eighth double-digit rebound game of the season.
- Kelsey Mitchell scored 25 points and is now one point behind Penn State’s Kelly Mezzante for second place in Big Ten history.
Ohio State returns home to close out 2017 by hosting Indiana on Sunday, Dec. 31 at 2 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPN2.
🏀 Ohio State Basketball Court Fan Vote 🏀