COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State used a pair of first half runs to gain separation and would roll to an 87-62 victory over Minnesota Wednesday night in the Big Ten opener for both teams.
Kelsey Mitchell made five three-point field goals to finish with a game-high 23 points to go along with six assists. Linnae Harper scored 12 points and pulled-down a game-high 12 rebounds for her first double-double as a Buckeye. Stephanie Mavunga was the third Buckeye in double-figures with 10 points and a season-high four blocks.
Kenisha Bell led the Gophers with 14 points and five assists.
Minnesota opened the game 1-of-10 from the floor which allowed the Buckeyes to go on an 11-0 run and build an early 13-4 lead. OSU then opened the second quarter on a 9-0 run to break the game open and take a 38-18 lead. But Minnesota was able to crawl back within shouting distance before halftime as the Buckeyes finished the second quarter making just three of its final 21 shots.
Ohio State’s defense stepped-up in the third quarter and limited the Gophers to just 10 points on 3-of-18 shooting and the lead was 65-43 after three.
The Buckeyes forced Minnesota into 24 turnovers and scored 18 points off those miscues. OSU also made nine three-pointers on the night while holding Minnesota to an OSU opponent-low three makes from long range.
Up next for the Buckeyes is a trip to Bloomington, Ind., for a matchup with the streaking Hoosiers on Saturday. Indiana has won seven-straight after knocking-off Penn State on Wednesday 89-70. The game tips off at 3 p.m. ET and will be televised nationally on CBS.
- Kelsey Mitchell made five three-pointers in the game and now has 303 for her career. She is just the fifth players in Big Ten history to make 300 or more career three-pointers.
- Linnae Harper notched her first double-double as a Buckeye with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
- Chelsea Mitchell scored her first points on the season as she made a pair of three-pointers in the fourth quarter.
- The Buckeyes had 55 rebounds in the game, marking the eighth time this season with 50 or more rebounds.
- All 11 Buckeyes that saw action in the game scored at least two points.
Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule