Dec. 21, 2016
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State won its final regular season non-conference game of the season on Wednesday night, soundly defeating Winthrop 88-48.
Stephanie Mavunga led the way for the Scarlet and Gray, recording her third straight double-double (12 points, 14 rebounds) and her sixth of the season. Kelsey Mitchell led all scorers with 19 points while Tori McCoy added 12 points, the fourth time in her last five games in which she has reached double figures. Linnae Harper nearly notched a double-double of her own, bringing down 10 rebounds and scoring nine points.
The Buckeyes dominated the game from the opening tip to the final buzzer, never trailing and leading for all but 48 seconds of game time. They held the Eagles to fewer than 15 points in every quarter tonight and forced 24 turnovers; that marked the fourth time in five games that an Ohio State opponent turned the ball over more than 20 times.
A large portion of those turnovers came in the first quarter; OSU forced 11 in the first 10 minutes of the game, paving the way to a 27-11 lead heading into the second. The Buckeyes also did well on the glass tonight, hauling in at least 50 rebounds (52) for the eighth time this season.
Ohio State opens up Big Ten play next Wednesday with a home tilt against Minnesota. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. from Value City Arena.
- Stephanie Mavunga recorded her sixth double-double in nine games this season with 12 points and 14 rebounds.
- Alexa Hart had a solid all-around game with seven points, eight rebounds and a season-high seven blocks.
- Linnae Harper finished one point away from a double-double with nine points and a season-high 10 rebounds.
- The Buckeyes topped the 50-rebound mark for the seventh time this season.
- Ohio State dished-out more than 20 assists (22) for the fifth time this season and are now 17-0 under head coach Kevin McGuff
- The Buckeyes finish the non-conference portion of the regular season schedule with a 10-4 record.
Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule