Dec. 16, 2016
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State dominated from start to finish on Friday night in its 118-61 win over visiting Alabama State. The Buckeyes improve to 9-3 on the season while the Hornets fall to 1-7. Their point total fell just one shy of the school record for points in a game (119).
This was the third time this season that OSU eclipsed 100 points in a game. Leading the way was Stephanie Mavunga with her 23 points and 13 rebounds. Linnae Harper, making her debut as a Buckeye, poured in 15 points and added five rebounds. Seven players reached double figures in scoring tonight for the Scarlet and Gray; Kelsey Mitchell scored 15 while Sierra Calhoun and Shayla Cooper added 13 apiece. Tori McCoy recorded 11 points in her first career start and fellow freshman Kiara Lewis had 10 off the bench.
Ohio State jumped out to a big 70-27 first half lead thanks to Mavunga’s double-double; she tallied 11 points and hauled in 10 rebounds before halftime to secure her fourth double-double of the season. The first half ended on an exciting note when Harper’s 3-pointer at the buzzer found the bottom of the net and earned the applause of the fans at Value City Arena as well.
The defense held Alabama State to just 31 percent shooting and the Hornets made just five of their 20 shot attempts from beyond the arc. The Buckeyes also had a strong advantage on the glass, winning the rebounding battle 58-38, and also forced a season-high 22 steals. OSU held the Hornets to 15 points or fewer in the first three quarters before allowing 21 in the fourth.
Next up for Ohio State is a battle with No. 1 Connecticut on the road. The Buckeyes and Huskies face off on Monday, Dec. 19 at 7 p.m.
- Stephanie Mavunga notched a double-double by halftime and finished the game with season-high 23 points and 13 rebounds. This was her team-high fourth double-double in seven games this season. Mavunga also had a career-high six steals.
- Freshman Tori McCoy, the reigning national Freshman of the Week, made the first start of her career and finished with 11 points on 5-of-7 shooting.
- Linnae Harper made her Buckeye debut and scored 15 points and had a team-high tying four assists.
- Kiara Lewis nabbed a season-high six steals and Alexa Hart dished-out a career-high four assists.
- The 118 points were the second-most points scored in a game by Ohio State and just one off the school-record of 119.
- The 38 points in the second quarter was a season-high for the Buckeyes and the most in a quarter since the NCAA switched to the quarter format last season.
- Ohio State had 22 steals in the game which was one off the school’s single-game record of 23.
- The Buckeyes had seven players score in double figures for the first time since Jan. 11, 2015 in an overtime game Michigan.