No. 10 Buckeyes Drop Aggies, 89-56
- Box Score (PDF)
- McGuff Postgame Press Conference
- Mitchell and Hart Postgame Press Conference
- 2015-16 Stats
- 2015-16 Schedule
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Four Ohio State Buckeyes scored in double-figures, led by 20-point efforts from Ameryst Alston and Kelsey Mitchell, and No. 10 Ohio State downed visiting NC A&T 89-56 Sunday afternoon at Value City Arena.
Mitchell led all scorers with 22 points and a season-high tying six assists. Alston was 9-of-10 from the floor and finished with 20 points and five assists.
No. 10/13 Ohio State 6-3
NC A&T 3-6
The Buckeyes jumped-out to a big lead in the first quarter but the Aggies kept hanging around before Ohio State closed the door late in an 89-56 victory.
After being out-scored by seven points in the third quarter, the Buckeyes limited NC A&T to just five points in the fourth quarter to pull away down the stretch.
Mitchell made five three-pointers en route to her seventh 20-point game of the season. She also added six assists and three steals. Alston missed just one shot from floor to post 20 points and five assists.
Sophomore Alexa Hart pulled-down a season-high 11 rebounds to go along with 14 points for her first double-double of the season. She led the team last year with 13 double-doubles. Fellow sophomore Asia Doss was the fourth Buckeye in double-figures as she enjoyed her best game of the season, finishing with 11 points and five assists.
Aggie Kala Green also made five three-pointers in the game and finished with a team-high 17 points.
Ohio State came out of the gate fast in the first quarter but was just as slow at the onset of the third quarter. The Buckeyes raced-out to a 17-3 lead in the first and seemed to be poised for a runaway victory. The Aggies didn't fade and shot over 64 percent in the third quarter, out-scored OSU 26-19 and closed to within 67-51 entering the fourth quarter.
The Buckeyes then cranked up the defense and held the Aggies to just 2-of-16 shooting in the fourth and pulled-away with a 22-5 quarter.
Ohio State again held its own in the paint, out-scoring A&T 38-16 inside and won the battle on the boards 40-33.
Ameryst Alston (OSU) - 20 points, 5 assists, 9-of-10 shooting
Kelsey Mitchell (OSU) - 22 points, 6 assists, 3 steals
Alexa Hart (OSU) - 14 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks
- The Buckeyes came out of the gate and set the tone early.
- After the Aggies took a brief 3-2 lead, the Buckeyes reeled-off 15-straight points to take a 17-3 lead just five minutes into the game.
- NC A&T had five turnovers and was 0-4 floor during the run.
- Conversely, the Buckeyes made 7-straight shots in the run. All five OSU starters made at least one field goal and Asia Doss came off the bench to convert a nice lay-up in the lane.
Ohio State Individual Notes
- Sophomore Alexa Hart notched her first double-double of the season with 14 points and 11 rebounds. It was the 14th double-double of her career
- Hart recorded three blocks in the game and has now blocked a shot in 29-straight games.
- Hart surpassed 500 career points in the game and now has 503 in her career
- This was the fifth time this season in which Ameryst Alston and Kelsey Mitchell each scored 20 or more points
- Makayla Waterman made the first start of her career and had three points, five rebounds, two assists and one block.
- Lisa Blair recorded her 100th career block in the game and now has a total of 101 in two-plus seasons.
- Asia Doss recorded a season-high 11 points and five assists in a season-high 29 minutes of action
- Kalpana Beach played just six minutes but grabbed a season-high five rebounds
Ohio State TEAM Notes
- This was the fifth time in the last six games that the Buckeyes have shot better than 50 percent from the floor. OSU was 31-of-60 for 51.7 percent
- This was the 11th time under Kevin McGuff that the Buckeyes have dished-out 20 or more assists and they are now a perfect 11-0 in those games.
Ohio State remains at home and will host Princeton on Friday, Dec. 18, at 7 p.m. The Tigers were 31-1 last season and had started this season 8-1.
Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule