COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State topped 100 points for the second time this season in Wednesday’s 108-73 win over Southern University at Value City Arena. The victory puts the Buckeyes at 7-3 on the year and drops the Jaguars to 2-3.
Most notably for Ohio State, Kelsey Mitchell scored 23 points to reach 2,000 for her career. The Cincinnati native became the seventh Buckeye to reach that benchmark and she did so in just 79 games, the fewest of any player in NCAA history. The junior was 6-for-11 from the field and 9-for-10 from the charity stripe.
Tori McCoy led all players in scoring tonight with 25 points, a season high for her. The freshman was a perfect 10-for-10 from the floor against the Jaguars and also hauled in six rebounds. Shayla Cooper and Sierra Calhoun also reached double figures in scoring for OSU, pouring in 19 and 13 points, respectively. Ohio State dominated inside, scoring 58 points in the paint compared to Southern’s 16.
As a team the Buckeyes had a good night shooting-wise, making just over 62 percent of their shots from the floor and 31 of their 40 free throw attempts. They jumped out to a big 33-13 lead after the first quarter and led 60-30 at halftime.
For the Jaguars, Skylar O’Bear led the way with 19 points, while Jaden Towner and Miaya Crowder reached double-digits too.
Ohio State’s next game is Sunday, Dec. 11 against Canisius. The action tips off inside Value City Arena at 2:00 ET.
- Kelsey Mitchell finished the game with 23 points and has 2,000 career points. She is the fastest player in NCAA history (since 1981) to 2,000 career points as she hit the mark in her 79th game. Mitchell broke Jackie Stiles’ old mark of 83 games.
- Mitchell is the seventh Buckeye in school history to reach the 2,000-point mark.
- Tori McCoy tied the OSU single-game record by going 10-of-10 from floor. She tied Jessica Davenport’s record of 10-of-10 against West Virginia on March 20, 2004.
- McCoy finished the game with a season-high 25 points and three blocks in just 20 minutes of action.
- Sierra Calhoun grabbed a career-high eight rebounds to go along with 13 points
- The Buckeyes recorded a season-high 26 assists on 36 field goals.
- Ohio State was 31-of-40 from the free throw line as a team. That was the most makes and attempts since going 32-of-41 in the win over Clemson at the Paradise Jam on Nov. 27, 2014.
- The Buckeyes shot a season-best 61.0 percent from the floor and scored their most points in a quarter this season with 33 in the first.
- All nine Buckeyes who played in the game scored
Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule