No. 7 Buckeyes Blast Wagner, 106-47
Nov. 22, 2015
- Box Score (PDF)
- 2015-16 Stats
- 2015-16 Schedule
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
Ameryst Alston led all scorers with 26 points, while Kelsey Mitchell added 24 points. Kaylan Pugh (18 points, 10 rebounds) and Shayla Cooper (15 points, 12 rebounds) had double-doubles for the Buckeyes.
Ohio State (2-2) held Wagner (0-3) to 26 percent shooting from the field and forced 23 turnovers.
The Short Story
The Buckeyes jumped on Wagner right from the start and used a pair of big runs to open up a big cushion and cruised to a 106-47 victory on Sunday.
Ohio State topped the 100-point mark for the first time this season thanks to a total team effort. The usual suspects showed up as Ameryst Alston scored 26 points and grabbed eight rebounds while Kelsey Mitchell made five more three-pointers and finished with 24 points. Shayla Cooper also had a nice afternoon, notching the eighth double-double of her career with 15 points and 12 rebounds.
Freshman Kaylan Pugh has shown signs of breaking out but Sunday was the first game that she put it all together. Pugh was 6-of-7 from the floor, made her only three-point attempt and finished with 18 points, 10 rebounds and three assists. It was her first of likely many double-doubles in her career.
Fellow freshman Makayla Waterman has turned in solid performances in the first three games but had yet to etch her name in the score column. She took care of that on Sunday with finishing with six points to go along with six rebounds.
Ohio State led 25-12 after the first quarter and stymied the Seahawks in the second quarter, holding them to just six points and grabbing a 28-18 lead at the half. Coming out of the locker room, the Buckeyes kept their foot on the gas and scored 37 points in the third quarter which was the most in any quarter this season.
Shayla Cooper (OSU) - 15 points, 12 rebounds
Kaylan Pugh (OSU) - 18 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists
Ameryst Alston (OSU) - 26 points, 4 assists, 8 rebounds
The Buckeyes were out-rebounded in each of the first three games this season. Head coach Kevin McGuff made sure his team was ready to battle on the boards on Sunday and they responded. The Buckeyes out-rebounded Wagner 60-30. Since 2003-04, the Buckeyes had not grabbed 60 rebounds in a game.
Ohio State Individual Notes
- Ameryst Alston finished with a game-high 26 points to go along with eight rebounds and four assists. This was her third 20-point game in the first four games this season and the 35th of her career.
- Kelsey Mitchell made five three-pointers and finished with 24 points. She now has 10 games in her career with five or more three-point field goals.
- Kaylan Pugh had a tremendous game on Sunday, notching the first double-double of her young career with 18 points and 10 rebounds. She also dished-out three assists.
- Freshman Makayla Waterman scored her first collegiate point on a free throw in the first quarter. She also had one block giving her a block in all four games this season
- Forward Alexa Hart recorded a pair of blocks and has now blocked at least one blocked shot in 24-straight games.
- Shayla Cooper was 6-of-10 from the floor finished with 15 points and 12 rebounds. This was her first double-double of the year and the eighth of her career.
- Chelsea Mitchell recorded her first career points on a three-pointer off a pass from her sister Kelsey.
Ohio State TEAM Notes
- After getting out-rebounded in the first three games of the season, the Buckeyes won the battle on the boards against Wagner 60-30.
- Ohio State shot over 50 percent for the first time this season, finishing 38-of-73 from the floor for 52.1 percent.
- The Buckeyes had a season-high tying 13 steals compared to none for the Seahawks.
- Ohio State out-scored Wagner 48-10 in the paint. The Buckeyes are now 32-9 under Kevin McGuff when winning the battle in the paint.
- Ohio State improves to 26-4 when scoring more than 80 points under Kevin McGuff.
Ohio State heads to Las Vegas, Nev., for Thanksgiving Weekend to take part in the South Point Shootout. The Buckeyes will take on Liberty on Friday, Nov. 27 at 5:15 p.m. ET and then battle No. 12 Texas A&M on Saturday, Nov. 28 at 3:00 p.m. ET. Both games will be streamed online at sporttourslive.net.
Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule