Buckeyes Drop Season Opener 87-82 To Virginia
Junior guard Ameryst Alston led the Buckeyes on the night with 27 points on 5-of-8 shooting from beyond the arc. Freshman point guard Kelsey Mitchell rebounded from a slow start to finish with 26 points and four assists.
For Virginia, Sarah Imovbioh led the way with 18 points and 24 rebounds. Faith Randolph had 25 points and five assists.
The game featured nine ties and 18 lead changes, most of them in the second half. Virginia led 51-40 on the boards and took advantage of nine Ohio State turnovers to score 15 points.
Virginia came out of the gate on fire, connecting on four of its first five three-pointers and took a 24-10 lead. The Buckeyes then scored the next 15 points to get back into the game and take its first lead at 25-24. The teams then traded runs the rest of the half and the Buckeyes would lead at the break 43-29.
The second half was more back and forth. Neither team held more than a four-point lead until Virginia pulled away in the final minute. Mitchell settled down in the second half and provided a spark. Craft had a big three to give the Buckeyes a lead late but down the stretch, Virginia made enough plays to pull out the victory.
- Trailing 24-10, the Buckeyes ran-off 15-straight points to erase the deficit and take a 25-24 lead.
- Alston scored seven of the 15 points during the run. After a hot start, Virginia cooled, making just 2-of-15 shots during the Ohio State spurt.
- The run not only got the Buckeyes back into the game but it also helped settle the early jitters of the young squad.
Hot Start But It Didn’t Last
- Virginia opened the game making seven of its first nine shots and was shooting 60 percent from the floor when it took its largest lead of the game at 24-10.
- The Buckeye pressure picked up and the Hoos ended the first half making just six of its last 22 shots and went to the break in a four-point hole and shooting just 39 percent.
- Playing in her first collegiate game, freshman Kelsey Mitchell , Kelsey Mitchell was just 2-of-15 in the first half and had just six points.
- But in the second half, she was 7-of-12 from the floor and scored 20 points.
- For the game, she finished with 26 points, four assists and a pair of rebounds.
- Redshirt-sophomore Kalpana Beach has battled injuries over the last two seasons and made her first appearance for the Buckeyes since a stellar freshman campaign in 2011-12.
- She got off to a good start, scoring four points and grabbing five rebounds in the first half.
- She finished the game with six points and seven rebounds.
The Buckeyes will host St. Francis (Pa.) on Sunday, Nov. 16, in its home opener at Value City Arena. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. This will be St. Francis’ first game of the season.
Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule