Buckeyes Rout No. 23 Nebraska 78-60
- Box Score (PDF)
- B1G Tournament Bracket
- 2014-15 Season Stats
- 2014-15 Schedule
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
LINCOLN, Neb. - Four Buckeyes scored in double-figures led by 28 from freshman Kelsey Mitchell as Ohio State finished the regular season with a 78-60 rout of No. 23 Nebraska.
The win was the fourth-straight for the Buckeyes who ended the regular season with a record of 21-9 and 13-5 in the conference.
Kelsey Mitchell notched her second double-double of the year with 28 points and a season-high tying 10 rebounds. Shayla Cooper stepped-up off the bench and scored 13 points to go along with a career-high 18 rebounds.
Emily Cady led Nebraska (20-9, 10-8) with 21 points and 13 rebounds while Brandi Jeffrey had 10 points and 13 boards.
Ohio State blew the game open with a 15-0 run over the final four minutes of the first half and then limited Nebraska to just 27 percent shooting in the second half. The crowd of 8,418 that showed-up for senior day kept pushing the Huskers in the second half but each time, the Buckeyes had an answer.
OSU had just nine turnovers in the game and scored 11 points off of 12 Nebraska turnovers.
The Buckeyes took a couple of seven-point leads in the first half but each time, Nebraska came right back. With the score tied 32-32 with four minutes left until the break, a deep three-pointer by Mitchell ignited a 15-0 Buckeye run to finish the half. Mitchell had eight points in the spurt while Alston added a three-pointer. Nebraska missed its final seven shots of the half and Ohio State led 47-32 at the break.
Nebraska stayed within striking distance for the first half of the second 20 minutes. With the crowd on its feet, a Mitchell lay-in with 6:43 to play sparked another 9-0 run for the Buckeyes that pushed the lead to 72-50 with five minutes left and removed any lingering doubt.
The Buckeyes have earned the No. 3-seed in next week's B1G Tournament and will play on Friday night at approximately 9:30 p.m. ET.
- Kelsey Mitchell scored 28 points and has moved into third on the OSU single-season scoring list. She has 736 points this season, passing Frani Washington who scored 711 points in the 1978-79 season and Jantel Lavender who scored 728 points in 2008-09.
- This was Mitchell's first game of 20 or more points in the last five games.
- Freshman Asia Doss scored a season-high 14 points. This was her fourth game of 10 or more points and the first since the game at Michigan on Jan. 11.
- Doss was 4-of-5 from long range on the day. That was her season-high for three-point makes and it was her first three-point field goal since Feb. 5, a span of six games.
- Shayla Cooper notched her fourth double-double of the season with 13 points and a career-high 14 rebounds.
- This was the Buckeyes' fifth win over a ranked team this season.
- The Buckeyes are 15-1 this season when winning the battle in the paint.
- Ohio State has won 10 of its last 12 games.
- The Buckeyes have earned the No. 3-seed in next week's B1G Tournament.
- Ohio State will play the second game Friday night against Purdue, Wisconsin or Minnesota.
Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule