- Box Score (PDF)
- Photo Gallery
- Kevin McGuff Press Conference
- Alston and Craft Press Conference
- Illinois Head Coach Matt Bollant Press Conference
- 2015-16 Stats
- 2015-16 Schedule
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
Alston had 39 points and Mitchell was right behind with 35 and No. 5 Ohio State routed Illinois 117-74 on Sunday.
Mitchell made 11 of 14 field goal attempts, including 8 of 9 from 3-point range before sitting out the final quarter. Alston, a senior playing her final game at home, shot 15 for 24. She had five of the Buckeyes' 16 3-pointers.
''I think we were really dialed in,'' Alston said. ''Maybe it was because it was Senior Night. I feel like that's how the game should be. Make it fun. Everyone scoring, it becomes contagious.''
Ohio State (23-4, 15-1 Big Ten) set a record for points at Value City Arena, and came up two points short of equaling the program record of 119 points in a game set against Idaho State on Dec. 11, 1994. The arena record was 113 points set Nov. 16, 2014, against St. Francis (Pa.).
Alston had a chance to give the Buckeyes 120 and tie Ohio State's single-game scoring record for an individual (42, shared by Mitchell and Samantha Prahalis) but missed a 3-point attempt with less than two minutes to play and the shot clock running down.
''My teammates were just yelling, `Shoot it!''' she said, unaware of the history at stake.
Alex Wittinger led Illinois (9-18, 2-14) with 21 points and Kyley Simmons and Sarah Hartwell had 10 apiece.
''Obviously today's game is everything, but I don't remember a game where any team was ever any better offensively than what I saw today and I've been doing this 19 years,'' Illinois coach Matt Bollant said. ''That's as good a performance as I have seen.''
Ohio State made 7 of 10 3-pointers in the first quarter while building a 37-24 lead it stretched to 67-40 by halftime.
The Buckeyes finished 42 for 68 (62 percent) from the field and 16 for 29 from 3-point range.
''We played with great pace, we shared the ball, we shot it well,'' Ohio State coach Kevin McGuff said. ''We were extremely efficient. There's not much more I could ask for in terms of how our offense went today.''
Illinois: The Fighting Illini lost for the ninth time in 10 games.
Beach entered to a loud ovation with 5:24 left in the second quarter, her first game action since Dec. 18. She finished with six points in 12 minutes. Beach started 30 games as a freshman in 2011-12 but recurring knee problems have limited her to only 14 games since.
''I think it's gonna be more awkward for my parents,'' Craft said when asked about playing her last home game at Ohio State two years after her brother, Aaron, completed his career in scarlet and gray. ''They've been coming down here for six years faithfully. I think they're gonna be a little bit bored honestly. I don't know what they're gonna do. I mean it's sad to me but I couldn't have gone out any better way and I remember Aaron's Senior Night and he felt the same way.''
Ohio State equaled its highest-scoring Big Ten game in program history. The Buckeyes won 117-64 at Minnesota in 1996.
Illinois plays host to Michigan State on Wednesday night.
Ohio State plays at Minnesota on Wednesday night.
Ohio State Individual Notes
Ohio State Team Notes
- The Buckeyes have won 11-straight games for the first time since 2012.
- The 117 points were tied for the second-most points scored in a game in school-history, trailing the 119-point game against Idaho State on Dec. 11, 1994.
- The 117 points were also tied for the most against a Big Ten team (117 at Minnesota on Jan. 12, 1996).
- The 117 points were also the most points scored in a game at Value City Arena.
- 67 points in the first half were the most points in a half this season
- This was the third time this season the Buckeyes topped the 100-point mark and the 28th time in school-history.
- The Buckeyes made 16 three-point field goals which was one-shy of the school-record and it tied the season-high from the Belmont game on Nov. 19, 2015. The 16 threes are the most by a Buckeye team in Value City Arena.
- Ohio State has made 61 three-pointers in the last five games.
- The team has made a three-pointer in 104-straight games dating back to 2013.
- The Buckeyes shot a season-best 61.8 from the floor.
- OSU shot 55.2 percent from long range, marking its sixth game and second-straight above 50 percent.
- The 66.7 first half shooting percentage was the highest in a half this season.
- The 82.4 percent shooting in the first quarter was the second-best shooting quarter for the Buckeyes this season.
- The Buckeyes scored 30 or more points in each of the first three quarters and have now scored 30 or more in 10 quarters this season.
- The Buckeyes won the battle on the boards 41-27 and are now 10-0 on the season when they out-rebound the opponent.
- Ohio State had single-digit turnovers (8) for just the fourth time this season.