COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 13 Ohio State made 11 three-pointers and enjoyed its second-best shooting night of the season in a 90-68 victory over Rutgers on Thursday.
The Buckeyes (20-5, 9-3) shot 56.1 percent for the game and were 11-of-22 from long range. That came one game after making a season-low four three-points last Saturday at Wisconsin.
Kelsey Mitchell was a season-best 5-of-6 from downtown and 10-of-13 overall to finish with a game-high 28 points. She also dished-out four assists which puts her at 502 for her career.
Senior Linnae Harper hit her average with 15 points and dished-out four assists. Fellow senior Alexa Hart tied her season-high with 12 points and three assists. Asia Doss scored just four points but handed-out a game-high seven assists.
For Rutgers, Tyler Scaife scored 27 points but took 27 shots. Jazlynd Rollins chipped-in with 14 points.
Harper and Calhoun each made a three and had seven first quarter points to help the Buckeyes build a 22-17 lead. OSU opened the second quarter on a 15-4 run to push the lead to 37-21 and force a Rutgers timeout with 5:30 left until halftime. The margin would be 21 at the break, 51-30, as the Buckeyes were 8-of-15 from beyond arc in the opening half.
The second half was all Buckeyes. They were 7-of-12 shooting in both the third and fourth quarters and held the 20-point margin nearly the entire half. Rutgers got as close at 16 late in the third quarter but never really threatened.
- Kelsey Mitchell dished-out her 500th career assist. She is one of just four players in NCAA history with 3,000 points and 500 assists
- Stephanie Mavunga notched a double-double for the third-straight game and she now has 13 on the season.
- Linnae Harper has scored in double-figures in all 24 games this season
- The Buckeyes extend their winning streak over the Scarlet Knights to six-straight with all six wins coming since Rutgers joined the Big Ten
- Ohio State made 11 three-pointers on the night, which came one game after making a season-low four three-pointers at Wisconsin last Saturday.
- Ohio State’s 56.1 percent shooting was its second-highest of the season and best in Big Ten play
- This was the fourth-straight game Ohio State held an opponent under 70 points marking the first time that has happened in Big Ten play under McGuff.
- In all four games of the Buckeyes’ winning streak, they have held the opponent to less than 40 percent shooting after allowing their three highest shooting percentages in the three-game losing skid
- This is the 28th time in program history that Buckeyes have won 20 games in a season
- For McGuff, this is his 14th 20-win season in 16 years as a head coach
- Rutgers grabbed an OSU opponent high 21 offensive rebounds in the game
The Buckeyes head out on the road for two games in a three day span starting with a trip to USF on Sunday. The game will start at 2 p.m. and will be aired on ESPN. That will be followed by a trip to Illinois on Tuesday evening.
🏀 Ohio State Basketball Court Fan Vote 🏀
Dorka Juhász Signs NLI with Ohio State