Mitchell's Big Second Half Leads OSU To 79-71 Win At Purdue
- Box Score (PDF)
- 2014-15 Season Stats
- 2014-15 Schedule
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
- Cait Craft recorded her 200th career rebound in the game.
- Ameryst Alston recorded her 100th career steal in the game. She finished with four on the afternoon and now has 101for her career.
- Alston moved into 18th place on the school's career scoring list. She passed Larecha Jones (1996-99) and now has 1,282 points in her career.
- Alexa Hart grabbed 12 rebounds in the game, marking her 7th game this season with 10 or more rebounds.
- Mitchell's 37 points were a Mackey Arena record by any player. It was her 16th 20-point game of the year and the fifth 30-point game.
- Ohio State remains on the road as it head to Wisconsin on Thursday to take on the Badgers.
- Game time is set for 9 p.m. ET from the Kohl Center.
- The Buckeyes lead the all-time series 48-16 but Wisconsin won last year's meeting in Madison 82-71.
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Ohio State freshman Kelsey Mitchell scored 31 of her Mackey Arena record 37 points after halftime to lead to the Buckeyes to a 79-71 overtime victory over Purdue Sunday afternoon.
The win is the second-straight for the Buckeyes who improve to 13-7 overall and 5-3 in the conference.
Mitchell struggled from the floor in the first half and had just six points at the break. But she put the team on her back in the second half. At one point, the Buckeyes were in a 12-pioint hole and Mitchell scored 13 of the next 20 for Ohio State to give the Buckeyes a 59-58 lead with under five minutes to play.
Ohio State led by three with under a minute to go but an Ashley Morrissette three-pointer from the corner with 47 seconds left in regulation evened the score at 64-64. After frantic final seconds on the Purdue end didn't lead to a make, the teams headed to overtime.
In overtime, the Buckeyes scored the first six points and was never really threated in the extra frame.
Mitchell made four three-pointers and was 13-of-14 from the free throw line. This was her fifth game of 30 or more points this season.
Sophomore Shayla Cooper also had a solid game for the Buckeyes, finishing with 15 points and eight rebounds. Junior Ameryst Alston added 13 points while Alexa Hart had eight points and a team-high 12 rebounds.
Whitany Bays led the Boilermakers with 22 points and a game-high 19 rebounds.
Neither team could have been happy with its first half performance. Purdue shot just 27 percent and had 12 turnovers while the Buckeyes had 10 turnovers and only shot 35 percent. The turnovers and long shooting droughts allowed neither team to find any kid of rhythm.
A 15-2 run in the second half gave Purdue its largest lead of the game at 51-39 with 11:39 to play. The Buckeyes countered with a 16-4 run, led by Mitchell, to retake the lead with five minutes to go. It was a back-and-forth battle down the stretch.
Ohio State Reveals 2017-18 Schedule