- Box Score (PDF)
- 2015-16 Stats
- 2015-16 Schedule
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) Kelsey Mitchell scored 27 points to help No. 7 Ohio State beat Michigan 97-93 on Thursday night.
Shayla Cooper added 25 points and 13 rebounds for the Buckeyes (13-5, 6-1 Big Ten).
Katelynn Flaherty led Michigan (11-7, 3-4) with 22 points, the 12th straight game where she had scored at least 19. Hallie Thome added 21 points and 12 rebounds, while Michigan's Kelsey Mitchell scored 14, including 12 in the first half.
Ohio State threatened to blow the game open early, leading 31-17 after one quarter, but Michigan's Kelsey Mitchell, a senior, led a second-quarter rally that had the Wolverines back within 49-42 at the half. Both Mitchells led their team in scoring in the half - Ohio State's with 20 and Michigan's with 12.
Flaherty's five points in the first four minutes of the third quarter had Michigan within 58-53, but Asia Doss and Cooper helped the Buckeyes move the lead back to 12, and it was 74-62 going into the fourth.
The Wolverines were within 89-84 with 90 seconds to play, and Ohio State's Mitchell missed as the shot clock expired, but Doss grabbed a key offensive rebound. Ameryst Alson split a pair of free throws and Siera Thompson hit two for Michigan to make it a four-point game with 33 seconds to go.
Michigan got as close as 93-90 when Alson missed a pair of free throws, but Cooper clinched the game with four straight from the line.
Ohio State: The Buckeyes extended their school record to 11 straight games with 80 or more points. Ohio State came into the game leading the Big Ten in scoring at 86.4 points and are No. 3 in the country.
Michigan: Thompson's 13 points leave the junior 10 away from becoming the 25th player in school history to score 1,000 in a career.
Thursday was the first and last matchup of Kelsey Mitchell and Kelsey Mitchell unless the teams play in the postseason. Ohio State's Mitchell is a sophomore, but her Wolverine namesake missed both games against the Buckeyes last year. The teams are only scheduled to play once this season.
Ohio State: Visits Rutgers on Sunday.
Michigan: Hosts Nebraska on Sunday.
Ohio State Individual Notes
- Ameryst Alston dished-out four assists to go along with 15 points. She now has 402 assists in her career, becoming just the seventh Buckeye to reach the 400-assist plateau.
- Shayla Cooper scored a career-high 25 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for her team-leading 5th double-double of the year and 12th of her career.
- Cooper is averaging 17.7 points per game in conference play
- Asia Doss, a Detroit native, enjoys playing in her home state. She recorded one of her four double-digit scoring games with 10 points in last year’s contest and tonight, she scored a career-high 15 points to go along with three steals and three assists
- Alexa Hart blocked four shots in the game, giving her a block in each of the last eight games and a block in all but one game this season
Ohio State Team Notes
- This was the ninth game this season in which Ohio State has scored 90 or more points
- The Buckeyes have now scored 80 points in a school-record 11-straight games
- The Buckeyes scored 31 points in the first quarter, marking their second-straight quarter of 30 or more points (4th Q vs. Purdue) and their seventh of the season
- Ohio State shot 54.5 percent (12-of-22) from beyond the arc marking its second-straight game shooting better than 50 percent from long range
- The Buckeyes shot over 50 percent from the floor (37-of-66) for the 10th time this season. They are 9-1 in those games
- Ohio State committed a season-low eight fouls in the game
- The team has made a three-pointer in 95-straight games