BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Indiana native Stephanie Mavunga enjoys playing against the Hoosiers and on Saturday, she scored 20 points and grabbed 16 rebounds to lead No. 10 Ohio State to a 77-62 win over IU.
This was Mavunga’s third double-double in three career games against Indiana.
The Buckeyes (16-2, 5-0) took control from the start and Indiana only really threatened to get back in the game on two occasions but both times, Linnae Harper had the answer. She finished the game with 19 points, seven rebounds, five assists and three steals.
Indiana’s main focus on defense was stopping Kelsey Mitchell as an IU defender shadowed her all game. Mitchell didn’t score until the second quarter and finished with 15 points but did dish-out a team-high six assists. Her first bucket in the second quarter gave her 3,000 points for her career.
OSU held Indiana leading scorer Tyra Buss in check most of the game as she notched just 10 points and had four turnovers.
Mavunga scored the first seven points of the game to jump start the Buckeyes. They would force seven first quarter IU turnovers and led 22-9 after one. After not attempting a shot in the opening quarter, Mitchell made three three-pointers in the final 2:31 of the second quarter to put the Buckeyes ahead 43-27 at halftime.
Harper opened the third quarter with seven quick points but the Hoosier kept pace and after a Buss three-pointer, IU was within seven at 56-49. The Buckeyes called timeout and Harper again responded out of the stoppage, scoring five-straight points to restore order and give the Buckeyes a 61-49 lead.
Both teams struggled to find their offensive rhythm in the fourth quarter and the Buckeyes remained in control throughout.
- Kelsey Mitchell became the 13th player in NCAA history to score 3,000 career points.
- Mitchell now has 3,013 points in her career which puts her in 12th place all time. She passed Cindy Blodgett of Maine (3,005) in the game.
- Stephanie Mavunga scored 20 points and grabbed 16 rebounds. She came in averaging 14.0 points and 16.5 rebounds in two previous games against Indiana.
- This was Mavunga’s third double-doubles in as many games against IU and the 47th of her career.
- Linnae Harper has scored in double-figures in all 18 games this season.
- This was the 12th-straight win for Ohio State over Indiana
- Ohio State begins Big Ten play 5-0 for just the ninth time in school history and the first since the 2009-10 season
- OSU forced 23 turnovers, marking the eighth time this season forcing an opponent into 20 or more turnovers
The Buckeyes return home to host Michigan on Tuesday, Jan. 16. OSU won at Michigan last Sunday and will look for the season sweep on Tuesday. The game will tip at 7 p.m. and will be televised on BTN.
🏀 Ohio State Basketball Court Fan Vote 🏀
Dorka Juhász Signs NLI with Ohio State
Mitchell Wins Dawn Staley Award