The Student Athlete Support Services Office aspires to be the best athletic academic support program in the country. We aim to do this by providing comprehensive academic support services designed to meet the needs of the student-athlete population while promoting a holistic approach to education.
The SASSO Mission
The Student Athlete Support Services Office (SASSO) will support the University and Athletic Department missions by providing programs and services that promote degree attainment and comprehensive personal development. As one of the nation's first universities to provide specialized support to student-athletes, SASSO will continue to be innovative in providing services that meet the educational, personal, and professional needs of student-athletes, all while remaining compliant with NCAA, Big Ten, and Ohio State regulations and standards. SASSO helps Ohio State student-athletes cultivate independence, define their educational and personal values, and develop leadership skills so that they may reach their full potential while maintaining personal and academic integrity.
SASSO accomplishes its mission by providing excellent service to both the athletic and academic communities. We look for ways to enhance the student-athlete experience by collaborating with various units across campus and incorporating innovative programming into everyday life.
Highlights of SASSO Services:
- An Athletic Academic Counselor is assigned to provide individualized attention to student-athletes on each team;
- Athletic Academic Counselors provide assistance on issues of academic eligibility and procedures in compliance with NCAA, Big Ten, and Ohio State University academic standards and policies;
- Athletic Academic Counselors collaborate with College Academic Advisors to provide accurate, academic information and planning related to a student's college progress and degree program;
- Priority scheduling allows student-athletes to schedule classes that accomodate their practice and training commitments;
- Learning Specialists and mentors provide intensive academic skill-building and monitoring of student progress;
- The Study Table and Tutor Programs provide student-athletes with a quiet place for studying and computer lab use, as well as access to one-on-one tutoring for many academic subjects;
- The Student-Athlete Development Program provides student-athletes opportunities to further enhance their experience and growth, personally and professionally, through classes, workshops, community service, and leadership opportunities;
- For almost 50 years, Ohio State has honored scholar-athletes that have maintained a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better at the Ohio State Scholar-Athlete Recognition Dinner. The current yearly record is 561.
- The Degree Completion Program, nationally ranked, is designed for student-athletes who have left Ohio State in good standing, but wish to return to complete their degree.
Buckeye Breakdown | C.J. Jackson