Student-Athlete Spotlight: Nick Tavanello, Wrestling
Nick Tavanello is a redshirt junior on the wrestling team and was a member of the Buckeyes' 2014-15 national championship squad. A native of Wadsworth, Ohio, he was an at-large qualifier for the NCAA Championships last season and has a career record of 68-34. Last summer, he was part of the “Bucks Go Pro” class and interned at the OSU Golf Course.
- What is the best time of year on campus? I think the best time of year on campus is in the fall because of the football game day atmosphere and all of the students coming back from summer break.
- What is your preferred mode of transportation to class? My preferred mode of transportation to class would be driving to the stadium and parking, then walking the rest of the way to class.
- Have you switched your major? If so, how many times and why and if not, how did you know your major was "the one"? I have switched my major. When I first came to Ohio State, I was a business major but switched to sport industry. I felt this was a good major for me because of my love for sports and I wanted to work in sports for a career.
- What has been your favorite or most interesting class at OSU? My favorite class that I took would have to be Sports Marketing and Promotion. I was very interesting to learn how different athletic teams marketed their organization.
- What social media do you prefer the most? I prefer to use Twitter because it is easier for me to follow events that are happening.
- Which do you watch more: Netflix or TV? I watch Netflix more. I don't have cable so watching TV isn't an option for me.
- Would you rather read the book or watch the movie? I would rather watch a movie, even though I enjoy reading a book every now and then.
- What song can you not help but sing-a-long to? The song that I cannot help but sing along to is probably Shut Up and Dance With Me by Walk the Moon. I really like that band.
- What was the last movie that you saw in theaters? The last movie that I saw in theaters was Jurassic World. It was really good.
- When is your favorite time of your sport's season? My favorite time of my sports season would probably be in February and March when our season is starting to head into post-season competition.
- Which team do you most look forward to competing against? I would say that any team in the Big Ten. Every team within the conference has a tough team.
- Do you have any pre-game/match superstitions or rituals? I usually just listen to music and pace back and forth before a match.
- What is your favorite part about your sport? I would say my favorite part about my sport is the head to head competition aspect.
- What is your favorite athletic memory? My favorite athletic memory would have to be winning the NCAA National Championship as a team this past season.
- When you are not at practice, what could someone find you doing? Playing sand volleyball or at my apartment playing video games.
- Do you have a hidden talent? No have no hidden talent
- If you won the lottery, what would you do? I would probably donate some of the money to a local charity and then I would probably buy myself a new car. Mine is on its last leg.
- Do you have an interesting nickname? My nicknames aren't really interesting, they are just based off of my last name. Most people just call me Tav.
- If you could switch places with anyone on your team for a day, who would you choose? Honestly, I wouldn't switch places on my team with anyone. Every other weight class has to cut weight except for me.
- Would you be the first O, H, I or last O in a picture? I would probably be the first O because I am a big guy and want to make that O look like a capital letter.
- What is your favorite part about being a Buckeye? My favorite part would have to be the fans. The people that come out to support us at wrestling match and being able to go to any part of the country or even the world and being able to hear someone yell “O-H”