Ohio State head coach Ed Beathea
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State men’s track and field head coach Ed Beathea announced today the addition of four student-athletes to the 2013 Buckeye recruiting class.
Distance runners Andy Arnold, Anthony Johnson and Dominik Seitzer, along with thrower Dakota Vogt, will join February signees Dylan Dyke, Aaron Zedella, Alex Rampelotto and Lamar Bruton on the Ohio State campus this fall.
Arnold arrives in Columbus as a graduate student from Cornell University. Johnson and Seitzer are middle-distance specialists who finished first and second, respectively, in the 800-meter run at the 2013 OHSAA Division I State Championships in June. Vogt, the brother of current Buckeye Dylan Vogt, enjoyed an outstanding senior season in the discus, placed second at the OHSAA Division III state championships.
“We as a staff have been very committed to recruiting the best student athletes to fill our needs and our collective efforts should rank this as one of the Top 10 recruiting classes in the country,” Beathea said. “I really feel these incoming student-athletes will add tremendous depth to what we believe to be a very talented team. I’m looking forward to their development in the Big Ten and NCAA.”
Learn more about the 2013 Ohio State signees:
Marloton, N.J. (Cornell)
• Placed 15th in the 3000m run and seventh in the Distance Medley at the 2013 Indoor Heptagonal Championships.
• Two-time national qualifier as a junior and a senior at Bishop Eustace Preparatory School.
Associate head coach Brice Allen: “Andy has put together a great summer of training and is going to add leadership and experience to our young team. He has the tools to be a standout runner.”
Newark, Ohio (Newark)
• 2013 OHSAA Division I state champion in the 800m.
• Fifth in the 400m at the 2012 OHSAA DI State Championships.
• 2012 and 2013 Newark Advocate Boys Runner of the Year.
Allen: “We knew early in the spring that Anthony had a hidden propensity for 800 meters, which he exemplified with his Division I state title this spring. He has just begun to tap his potential and we’re excited to have him as a Buckeye.”
Reynoldsburg, Ohio (Reynoldsburg)
• Second place in the 800m at the 2013 OHSAA DI State Championships.
• Runner-up in the 800m at the 2013 OATCCC Indoor Championships.
• Two-time qualifier for the OHSAA DI cross country championships.
Allen: “Dominik put together an outstanding senior track season finishing as the state runner-up behind Anthony in the 800 meters. He has considerable speed endurance, is very coachable and comes from Reynoldsburg High School and Coach [Denny] Hammond, who has sent former All-Americans to Ohio State.”
Columbus Grove, Ohio (Columbus Grove)
• 2013 OHSAA DIII state runner-up in the discus; third in 2012.
Assistant coach Ross Richardson: “Dakota had a breakout season in the discus. We’re excited about his athleticism considering he was a starting running back and forward on his high school football and basketball teams.”
Waverly, Ohio (Waverly)
• 2013 and 2012 OHSAA DII state champion in the shot put.
• 2013 and 2012 OATCCC DII/III state champion in the shot put and weight throw.
Shot Put: 19.63m/64-4.75
25-pound Weight Throw: 22.50m/73-10.00
Hammer Throw: 59.87m/196-5.00
Discus Throw: 53.37m/175-1.00
Richardson: “Dylan has shown a tremendous passion for throwing and his ability across multiple indoor and outdoor throws events makes him one of the top throwers in the country. We feel that he is maturing into his body each month and that he will make a quick transition to being as successful in college as he has been at the high school level.”
Cleveland, Ohio (St. Edward)
• 2013 OHSAA DI state champion in the shot put and discus; state runner-up in the shot in 2012.
• 2013 Cleveland Plain Dealer Boys Track Athlete of the Year.
Shot Put: 19.49m/63-11.50
25-pound Weight Throw: 23.84m/78-2.50
Discus Throw: 59.89m/196-6.00
Hammer Throw: 61.14m/200-7.00
Richardson: “Aaron is bringing a tremendous amount of athleticism to our throws group as we feel he is one of the most well rounded throwers in the country. He has thrown the shot, discus, hammer and indoor weight all at a very high level and I am excited to see where we can take these events when he starts competing collegiately.”
Allen: “Alex brings a wealth of experience to our young Buckeye distance corps including training with the Italian National Team.”
Wilmington, Del. (Howard of Technology)
• Eight-time Delaware DII state outdoor champion (200m, 400m, and 4x400m relay).
• Five-time Delaware state indoor champion (200m, 400m, and 4x400m relay).
• Delaware state-record holder in the 400m (46.21).
• 2013 Gatorade Delaware Boys Track Athlete of the Year.
Beathea: “Lamar is a very hard worker and is committed to excellence. He takes training and running very seriously. As one of the Top 10 400-meter runners in the country he will transition well into our group of sprinters.”
NCAA East Preliminaries Field Announced