Feb. 2, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio – A busy weekend awaits the 15th-ranked Ohio State men’s track and field team, as the Buckeyes travel to Akron, Ohio, and Notre Dame, Ind., for the Akron Combined Events and Meyo Invitational this Friday and Saturday, Feb. 3-4.
Heath Nickles, Michael McCarty and Cory Kunze will represent the Buckeyes in the heptathlon in the first of four days of competition at the University of Akron’s Stile Field House for Ohio State over the next two weekends – the rest of the team is scheduled to compete next weekend at the annual Akron Invitational. Competition for the Scarlet and Gray trio begins Friday at 5:00 p.m. and continues Saturday at 11:00 a.m.
The rest of the squad will take to the track at Notre Dame’s Loftus Sports Center at 4:00 p.m. Friday and 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning.
Buckeyes in the Individual Top 25 Rankings
• Cory Leslie – No. 4 in the mile and No. 21 in the 800m
• Max Mays – No. 5 in the weight throw
• Thomas Murdaugh – No. 8 in the 400m
• Heath Nickles – No. 10 in the heptathlon and No. 14 in the pole vault
• 4x400m Relay – No. 10
• Distance Medley – No. 14
• Demoye Bogle – No. 15 in the 60m hurdles
• Dan White – No. 20 in the 800m
• Matt DeChant – No. 19 in the weight throw and No. 23 in the shot put
Ohio State Ranked 15th in USTFCCCA Top 25
The Buckeyes checked-in at No. 15 in the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) top 25, released Tuesday.
Six Big Ten teams are featured in the top 25, with No. 8 Minnesota leading the way, followed by No. 10 Indiana, No. 11 Nebraska, OSU, No. 19 Iowa, and No. 21 Wisconsin. Arkansas is the top-ranked team in the nation, followed by No. 2 Florida and third-ranked LSU.
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter!
The Ohio State men's track and field team is on Facebook and Twitter. Visit www.facebook.com/OSUtrackXC and www.twitter.com/OhioState_MTRK to catch up on the latest Buckeye news and notes.
Join the Olympian Club!
A fund-raising initiative created by head coach Robert Gary, the Ohio State Olympian Club hopes to generate financial support for track and field/cross country projects that are beyond the budget but extremely valuable in enhancing the experiences of the program's student-athletes.
Besides supporting the members of the Ohio State track and field/cross country teams both on and off the track, donations will afford the Buckeyes the opportunity to continue to operate in a first-class manner, while setting a new standard for Division I programs.
For more information, visit the men's track and field home page at www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Last Time Out
Cory Leslie broke his own school record in the mile last Saturday at the Penn State National Invitational in University Park, Pa., highlighting the two days of competition at Ashenfelter III Indoor Track for Ohio State.
With an NCAA automatic qualifying run of 3:56.85 - the fourth-best Division I time this season - Leslie finished in second place behind former Ohio State All-American Jeff See, who topped Leslie's facility and meet record set in 2011 with a winning time of 3:56.51.
More meet highlights:
• A personal-best time of 7.83 – the third-fastest in school history – helped Demoye Bogle to fourth place behind champion Jarret Eaton of Syracuse, who posted a meet-record and NCAA-qualifying time of 7.49 to finish first.
• In the 400m dash, All-American Thomas Murdaugh used a time of 47.14 - the eighth-fastest in Division I this season - to place first in his heat and fourth overall.
• Dan White used a top 20 national-time of 1:49.80 to place second in his heat and fourth overall in the 800m.
• The Buckeyes placed six athletes in the top 7 of the weight throw, led by first-place finisher Max Mays (20.25m/66-5.25). Matt DeChant was sixth with a 19.18m (62-11.25) toss, while Billy Gehring placed seventh at 18.65m (61-2.25).
Ohio State has three events on the schedule for next Friday, Feb. 10: the Akron Invitational, New Mexico Invitational, and Washington Invitational.
Buckeye Spotlight - Luke Landis
Buckeye Spotlight - Cole Gorski
Dan Taylor - Hall of Fame Weekend