Ohio State joined Purdue in a clash with conference foes from the SEC and Big 12 at LSU’s Bernie Moore Stadium. The Buckeyes and Boilermakers combined for 120 points in the men’s competition and 95 on the women’s side, finishing third behind the SEC (LSU, Alabama, Mississippi State) and Big 12 (Oklahoma, Kansas State) in both contests.
Murasky won the shot put for the 15th-ranked men’s team with an NCAA-leading mark of 20.02 meters (65-8.25), defeating No. 4 Chuk Enekwechi of Purdue in the process. The senior from Zanesville, Ohio, is unbeaten in the shot so far this outdoor season after earning bronze in the event at the NCAA indoor championships.
Gray also had an outstanding day for the Buckeyes, winning the 200-meter dash in a personal-best 20.51 seconds while also finishing fourth in the 100-meter dash in a personal-best 10.36 seconds. The time in the 200 dash ranks second in Division I this season, while the 100-meter time is 25th nationally. Gray, a native of Pickerington, Ohio, has now set PRs in the 100, 200 and 400 (46.16 at the Cardinal & Gold Challenge) less than a month into the outdoor season.
On the women’s side, senior SoSo Walker ran another strong race in the 400-meter dash. Currently ranked 11th in the NCAA with a season-best time of 52.47, Walker crossed the finish line second overall in 52.56 seconds. She also ran with teammates Martha Sam, Karrington Winters and Beatrice Hannan in the 4x400-meter finals, finishing third in a season-best time of 3:35.72.
Additional meet highlights:
• Senior Champ Page made his outdoor 400-meter debut for the men of the Scarlet and Gray, racing to a runner-up time of 46.62, a Top-20 performance this season.
• Sophomore Jared Ballenger cleared a personal-best 53.57 meters (175-9.00) to finish fifth in the men’s discus, the No. 4 throw in the OSU record book.
• A throw of 72.38 meters (237-5.50) helped junior Bill Stanley to second place in the men’s javelin.
• Crossing the finish line in a season-best time of 4:26.74, senior Tammy Berger finished third in the women’s 1500-meter run.
• Senior Alyssa Gary was fourth in the women’s shot put with a season-best throw of 15.39 meters (50-6.00).
Cobb Wins Pole Vault at All-Ohio Championships
Freshman Coty Cobb won the All-Ohio title in the pole vault April 8 in Athens, Ohio. The Middletown, Ohio, native cleared 4.98 meters (16-4.00) to earn his first collegiate victory.
Ohio State hosts the annual Jesse Owens Track & Field Classic April 22-23.
2018 Buckeye Classic Highlights