May 16, 2012
2012 NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Team Championship
No. 5 Ohio State (33-3) vs. No. 12 Florida (16-9)
Round of 16
Friday, May 18
Dan Magill Tennis Complex
Host: University of Georgia
COLUMBUS, Ohio– The No. 5 seed Ohio State men’s tennis team (33-3) will continue postseason play in the 2012 NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Championship when it meets No. 12 Florida in the Round of 16 at noon Friday (16-9) at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga. (Tournament Central)
The Buckeyes advanced to the third round for the seventh-consecutive season after shutting out East Tennessee State and Notre Dame by 4-0 scores in Columbus May 12-13.
• Ohio State is 31-12 all-time in the NCAA tournament.
• Ohio State has won 146 of 152 matches and 92 of 93 Big Ten matches (regular season and Big Ten tournament).
• Ohio State has won 148 consecutive home matches in Columbus (20-0 in 2012). The streak is the longest active among all Division I sports.
• As the fifth-ranked team nationally, Ohio State is 11-1.
• The Buckeyes have won 33 of 36 doubles points this season.
• Since 2001, Ohio State is 278-39 (.877) when ranked in the ITA Top 25. That percentage improves to 231-16 (.935) since 2005-06.
• The Buckeyes have been ranked in the ITA Top 10 for 198 consecutive matches (beginning March 7, 2006).
• The Scarlet and Gray are 11-3 vs. teams ranked in the ITA Top 25 and 23-3 vs. teams in the Top 75. Blaz Rola leads the team with 32 singles wins, while Chase Buchanan leads the squad with 38 doubles wins.
How They Got Here
Ohio State advanced to its seventh-consecutive NCAA championship Round of 16 match after a pair of 4-0 wins vs. East Tennessee State (recap) and Notre Dame (recap) in the first and second rounds, respectively, May 12 and 13 in Columbus.
The 2012 NCAA Championships
Ohio State is the No. 5 seed in the 2012 NCAA Team Championship. No. 1 USC (29-1) leads the field followed by Georgia (25-2), Virginia (25-1) and UCLA (24-3). Chase Buchanan and Blaz Rola were selected to compete in the field of 64 singles players and field of 32 doubles teams as well.
Buchanan and Rola earned the No. 1 seed in the doubles championship, while individually they were at-large selections in the singles tournament. Peter Kobelt is an alternate in the singles championship, while Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen, ranked 32nd in the nation, are alternates in doubles.
Ohio State at the NCAA Championships
In NCAA action, under 13th-year head coach Ty Tucker, the Buckeyes have compiled a 31-12 record, advancing as far as the final in 2009 and reaching the semifinals last season and the quarterfinals in 2004, '06, '07, '08 and '10. Tucker has coached 17 singles and 10 doubles NCAA championships participants. Under the helm of Tucker, Ohio State has qualified for 13 consecutive NCAA tournaments.
Ohio State vs. Florida
Ohio State trails Florida, 3-1, in the all-time series. The Buckeyes’ lone win vs. the Gators was a 4-3 victory during the 2009 ITA National Team Indoor Championship. Seeded 12th with a 16-9 overall record, Florida posted a pair of 4-0 wins vs. Navy and Harvard in the opening rounds of the 2012 NCAA Championships.
Chase Buchanan was named Midwest Region Senior of the Year the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) announced Monday. Justin Kronauge was lauded with regional assistant coach of the year honors. (release).
At the conclusion of the 2012 NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Team Championship, the singles and doubles championships will begin May 23 in Athens, Ga.
ITA All-American Championship Recap
Justin Kronauge - Hall of Fame Weekend
Buckeyes Release 2016-17 Schedule