Rola earned his ninth-career Big Ten Athlete of the Week honor Wednesday.
April 10, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio– For the fourth time this season, a member of the Ohio State men’s tennis team earned Big Ten Athlete of the Week honors. Blaz Rola, a junior from Ptuj, Slovenia, collected his second conference accolade of the season and ninth of his career.
Rola, currently ranked 13th in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association polls, is 19-0 overall on the season in singles, including a 14-0 mark at the No. 1 position. Rola boasts an impressive doubles record as well with a 21-0 mark. Majority of Rola’s doubles victories have come at No. 3 (18-0) with teammate Kevin Metka. Combined the Buckeye tandem is 15-0 overall.
Last week, Rola posted a 3-0 record in singles play, opening action with a 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 victory vs. No. 18 Anthony Rossi of No. 8 Kentucky on court No. 1 April 3. Rola continued with back-to-back victories vs. Wisconsin’s Alexander Kostanov, 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2 singles April 5 before finishing out his match against Rok Bonin of Minnesota at the top position, 6-2, 6-1, April 7.
Rola added four more doubles victories to his record when he worked with three different Buckeyes. At Kentucky and vs. the Badgers, Rola and Metka were 8-4 and 8-3 winners against Beck Pennington and Ryuji Hirooka and Frederick Strabo and Alexander Kostanov, respectfully. Continuing Big Ten Conference play, Rola then paired with Hunter Callahan and the duo recorded an 8-2 win vs. the Gophers’ Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh. Concluding the weekend vs. Wright State, Rola and Connor Smith were 8-1 winners vs. Jamison Clark and Hayden Joblin at No. 1.
Ohio State returns to action Friday when it faces Illinois at 4 p.m. ET. The Buckeyes then will play Northwestern at 1 p.m. ET Sunday.
Blaz Rola April 10 Big Ten Men’s Tennis Athlete of the Week
at Kentucky (April 3)
1. #13 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #18 Anthony Rossi (UK) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7)
3. #57 Kevin Metka/Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Beck Pennington/Ryuji Hirooka (UK) 8-4
vs. Wisconsin (April 5)
2. #13 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Alexander Kostanov (WIS) 6-2, 6-3
3. #57 Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Frederik Strabo/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) 8-3
vs. Minnesota (April 7)
1. #13 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #41 Rok Bonin (MINN) 6-2, 6-0
3. Blaz Rola/Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) 8-2
vs. Wright State (April 7)
1. #13 Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. Hayden Joblin (WRIGHTST) 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
1. Blaz Rola/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Jamison Clark/Hayden Joblin (WRIGHTST) 8-1
Buckeyes Battle to Sweep Longhorns