Ille Van Engelen earned his 27th win of the season after a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles en route to an Ohio State 4-0 victory.
May 13, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State men’s tennis team (33-3) dealt Notre Dame (21-9) a 4-0 loss in the Second Round of the NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Championship Sunday at the Varsity Indoor Tennis Center in Columbus. The victory served as the 148th-consecutive win at home for the Buckeyes.
As the fifth-seed, Ohio State improves to 31-12 overall in the NCAA tournament. With the win Sunday, the Buckeyes advanced to the Round of 16 and will meet the winner between Harvard and Florida at noon Friday in Athens, Ga. The University of Georgia will host the remainder of the tournament.
Ohio State has now advanced to at least the Round of 16 in the NCAA tournament the last six seasons, including a semifinal appearance last season in Palo Alto, Calif.
Blaz Rola earned a team high 32nd singles victory en route to winning the fourth point of the match, thus clinching the win for Ohio State. Rola, ranked ninth nationally, beat Greg Andrews (No. 54) 7-5, 6-3 for his 14th win on court two this season.
Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith won the first match of the afternoon at No. 3 doubles with an 8-4 win vs. Billy Pecor and Sam Keeton. The Buckeye duo is 26-5 overall, including an impressive 18-2 mark at the third doubles position.
Chase Buchanan and Rola, the nation’s top ranked pair, won their first match of the postseason and 30th of the season after posting an 8-3 victory on court one over Niall Fitzgerald and Casey Watt.
Buchanan wasted no time in carrying his doubles success to singles competition. The senior co-captain downed Watt 6-3, 6-2 on court one to push the Buckeye lead to 2-0. Buchanan, ranked 10th-nationally, is now 28-6 overall, including a 13-2 record at the top position.
Ille Van Engelen was victorious for the 27th time this season and 16th time at the No. 4 position after beating Pecor 6-4, 6-2.
The Scarlet and Gray move to 29-26 all-time vs. the Irish, including 10-4 under head coach Ty Tucker. Ohio State also defeated Notre Dame 5-2 in a regular season contest March 3 in Columbus.
- Ohio State has won 148 consecutive home matches in Columbus (20-0 in 2012), dating back to 2003. Thirteen of the 20 wins have come vs. ITA Top 20 opponents.
- The Buckeyes are 31-12 all-time in the NCAA tournament.
- It is the 12th-consecutive tournament appearance for the Scarlet and Gray with the win marking the sixth-consecutive season and eight of the last nine the Buckeyes have advanced to the Round of 16.
- The Buckeyes have won eight consecutive matches vs. the Irish, dating back to the 2005-06 campaign.
- The Scarlet and Gray are 91-119-1 overall vs. teams from their region. Not including Big Ten teams, that mark moves to 63-46-1.
- As the No. 5 team nationally, Ohio State is 11-1.
- The Buckeyes have won 32 of 35 doubles points this season. When losing the doubles point, Ohio State posts a 3-0 record.
- Since 2001, Ohio State is 278-39 when ranked in the ITA Top 25. That percentage improves to 231-16 from the 2005-06 season onward.
- The Buckeyes have been ranked in the ITA Top 10 for 198 consecutive matches (beginning March 7, 2006).
- The Scarlet and Gray are 11-3 vs. teams ranked in the ITA Top 25 and 24-3 vs. teams in the Top 75.
- Blaz Rola leads the team with 32 singles wins, while Chase Buchanan leads with 38 doubles wins.
Tennis Match Results
#5 Ohio State 4, #29 Notre Dame 0
May 13, 2012 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
1. #10 Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. Casey Watt (ND) 6-3, 6-2
2. #9 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #54 Greg Andrews (ND) 7-5, 6-3
3. Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. Sam Keeton (ND) 6-4, 0-2, unfinished
4. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Billy Pecor (ND) 6-4, 6-2
5. Devin McCarthy (OSU) vs. Niall Fitzgerald (ND) 2-6, 7-6, unfinished
6. Connor Smith (OSU) vs. Blas Moros (ND) 6-7 (3-7), 2-1, unfinished
1. #1 Chase Buchanan/Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #55 Niall Fitzgerald/Casey Watt (ND) 8-3
2. #32 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. Greg Andrews/Spencer Talmadge (ND) 7-6, unfinished
3. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Billy Pecor/Sam Keeton (ND) 8-4
Notre Dame 21-9; National ranking #29
Ohio State 33-3; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,4,2)
NCAA tournament Second Round
Match moved indoors to Varsity Tennis Center because of inclement weather
1:05 was approx. start time
Torpegaard's Run Ends In Round of 16