COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 3 Ohio State dispatched of Butler 4-0 in the opening round of the NCAA Championship on Friday afternoon at the OSU varsity Tennis Courts on campus. The Buckeyes advance to play No. 42 Louisville on Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. The Cardinals pulled-out a 4-3 victory over No. 28 UCF in the first match of the day.
- The Buckeyes win their 30th match of the season and improve to 30-3 overall
- This is the 10th time in the last 11 years that the Buckeyes have won 30 matches in a season
- The win also improves Ohio State to 23-0 all-time in NCAA Tournament matches in Columbus
- Ohio State defeats Butler for the second time in the NCAA Tournament (also in 2006) and is now a perfect 19-0 against the Bulldogs
- This was the team’s 19th sweep of the season
- The Buckeyes won the doubles point in just 16 minutes with a 6-0 win on court three from Hunter Tubert and JJ Wolf and a 6-1 win on court two from Martin Joyce and Hugo Di Feo.
- Mikael Torpegaard and Herkko Pollanen were also winning 3-2 on court one when the point was clinched
- Ohio State won the opening set in all six singles matches and would clinch the match with wins on courts 1, 5 and 6.
- Torpegaard claimed his 34th victory of the season with a solid 6-0, 6-1 victory on court one over Aviv Ben Shabat.
- Senior Herkko Pollanen matched his doubles partner with a 6-0, 6-1 win over
- Redshirt-freshman Kyle Seelig provided the clinching point with his 6-1, 6-3 win over Ari Gerstein on court six. He posts his 28th victory over the year in his first season on the court.
- JJ Wolf won the final four games of the first set to take it 7-5 over Mason Dragos and was winning 3-2 in the second.
- Joyce and Di Feo also held leads in the second set after winning the first
Buckeyes Open the Year at No. 2
2018 Photo Day
JJ Wolf Wins USA34 Futures in Harlingen