Peter Kobelt won both his singles and doubles matches vs. ETSU in the NCAA First Round.
May 12, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State men’s tennis team (32-3, 11-0 B1G) defeated East Tennessee State (14-9) 4-0 in the First Round of the NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Championship Saturday at the outdoor Varsity Tennis Center in Columbus.
Devin McCarthy won 6-3, 6-3 on court five vs. Rogerio Ribeiro to seal the shutout for Ohio State. The Cincinnati, Ohio, native improves to 27-6 overall, including a 17-3 mark at the fifth position.
As the fifth-seed, Ohio State is serving as hosts of the First and Second Rounds for the seventh-consecutive season. The Buckeyes will meet Notre Dame at 12 p.m. Sunday in the second round with a berth to the Round of 16 in Athens, Ga., on the line. The match is scheduled to be played at the outdoor Varsity Tennis Courts, but will be moved to the Varsity Indoor Tennis Center if there is inclement weather.
McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen won the first match of the day, defeating Jeremy Bonnevalle and Juan Ramirez 8-3 on court two. The 32nd-ranked pair in the nation moved to 33-9 on the season with the win.
The Buckeyes took a 1-0 lead after claiming the doubles point with an 8-4 win on court three by Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith over Rogerio Ribeiro and Jesus Bandres. The duo improves to 17-2 at the third position and 26-5 overall.
Rola earned his team high 31st singles win after a 6-3, 6-2 victory vs. Sander Gille on court two. The Ptuj, Slovenia, native is now 14-2 on the season at the No. 2 position.
Kobelt lifted the Buckeyes to within one point of winning the match after a 6-4, 6-2 triumph vs. Ramirez on court three. Kobelt improves to 25-10 overall including a 16-7 mark at the third position.
Ohio State is 5-0 all-time vs. the Bucs and 30-12 overall in the NCAA tournament.
- Ohio State has won 147 consecutive home matches in Columbus (19-0 in 2012).
- It is the 12th-consecutive tournament appearance for the Scarlet and Gray with the win marking the seventh-consecutive season the Buckeyes have advanced to the second round.
- As the No. 5 team nationally, Ohio State is 10-1.
- The Buckeyes have won 31 of 34 doubles points this season. When losing the doubles point, Ohio State posts a 3-0 record.
- Since 2001, Ohio State is 277-39 when ranked in the ITA Top 25. That percentage improves to 230-16 from the 2005-06 season onward.
- The Buckeyes have been ranked in the ITA Top 10 for 197 consecutive matches (beginning March 7, 2006).
- The Scarlet and Gray are 11-3 vs. teams ranked in the ITA Top 25 and 23-3 vs. teams in the Top 75.
- Blaz Rola leads the team with 31 singles wins, while Chase Buchanan leads with 37 doubles wins.
Tennis Match Results
ETSU vs Ohio State
May 12, 2012 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Courts)
#5 Ohio State 4, #68 ETSU 0
1. #10 Chase Buchanan (OSU) vs. Jesus Bandres (ETSUM) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0, unfinished
2. #9 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Sander Gille (ETSUM) 6-3, 6-2
3. #67 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Juan Ramirez (ETSUM) 6-4, 6-2
4. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. Jeremy Bonnevalle (ETSUM) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
5. #85 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSUM) 6-3, 6-3
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) vs. Roger Ordeig (ETSUM) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
1. #1 Chase Buchanan/Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. Sander Gille/Robin Akser (ETSUM) 6-4, unfinished
2. #32 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Jeremy Bonnevalle/Juan Ramirez (ETSUM) 8-3
3. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Jesus Bandres/Roger Ordeig (ETSUM) 8-4
ETSU 14-9; National ranking #68
Ohio State 32-3; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,3,5)
NCAA tournament First Round match began at 1:40
ITA All-American Championship Recap
Justin Kronauge - Hall of Fame Weekend
Buckeyes Release 2016-17 Schedule