May 10, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 5 seed Ohio State men’s tennis team advanced to the second round of the 2013 NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Team Championship Friday afternoon after beating Cleveland State, 4-0, at the Varsity Tennis Center in Columbus, Ohio. The host Buckeyes improve to 32-2 on the season and the Vikings conclude their campaign 12-12.
Ohio State will face Washington, who beat Notre Dame, 4-3, at noon Saturday at the Varsity Tennis Courts located on Olentangy River Road. The match vs. Cleveland State was forced indoors at the VTC because of heavy wind and rain. Tickets to the second round are $6 for adults and $4 for students with a valid student ID, children and senior citizens. Live stats will be available at the Tournament Central page.
Against Cleveland State, Ohio State won the doubles point for the 32nd time in 2013. The Buckeye pair of Blaz Rola and Kevin Metka was the first off the courts when they beat Jorg Van Der Vloet and Joe Vanmeteer, 8-1, at No. 3 doubles. The pair remains perfect on the season with a 21-0 record. Soon after,Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith, ranked 12th in the nation, handed Ali Shabib and Niklas Jonsson an 8-2 loss. Kobelt and Smith improve to 23-3 this season.
In singles action, Rola, ranked 12th nationally, earned Ohio State’s second team point of the match after defeating Van Der Vloet, 6-1, 6-2, at the top position. Rola improves to 24-1 on the season, including a 16-1 mark at No. 1 singles. Senior Devin McCarthy lifted the Buckeyes to a 3-0 advantage following his 6-3, 6-1 win vs. Jonsson at fourth singles. McCarthy now owns a 25-2 ledger in 2012-13. Freshman Constantin Christ wrapped up the Ohio State victory with his 6-1, 6-1 victory against Vanmeter at No. 6 singles. Christ is 21-3 overall, including a 16-0 mark on court No. 6.
Tennis Match Results
Cleveland State vs. Ohio State
May 8, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Courts)
#5 Ohio State 4, Cleveland State 0
1. #12 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Jorg Van Der Vloet (CSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. #8 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. Matt Kuelker (CSU) 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
3. #71 Connor Smith (OSU) vs. Ali Shabib (CSU) 6-0, 3-2, unfinished
4. #73 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Niklas Jonsson (CSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. #104 Chris Diaz (OSU) vs. Nolan Marks (CSU) 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) def. Joe Vanmeter (CSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #12 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Ali Shabib/Niklas Jonsson (CSU) 8-2
2. #90 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. Matt Kuelker/Nolan Marks (CSU) 4-5, unfinished
3. #50 Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Jorg Van Der Vloet/Joe Vanmeter (CSU) 8-1
Cleveland State 12-12
Ohio State 32-2; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,4,6)
2013 NCAA Championships First Round
Official: Vince Solomon T-1:50