No. 67 Connor Smith beat Barrett Franks 6-3, 6-3 to clinch the 2013 Big Ten Tournament title.
April 28, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The fourth-ranked and No. 1 seed Ohio State men's tennis team (31-2) won its seventh Big Ten tournament title in eight years after blanking third seed Michigan, 4-0, Sunday in the championship final at the Varsity Tennis Center in Columbus, Ohio. With the win, the host Buckeyes shut out their third-consecutive opponent.
Earning the Big Ten Conference's automatic bid into the NCAA championships, which begin the weekend of May 12, Ohio State regained the tournament title after falling to Illinois a season ago in the final. Under the tutelage of head coach Ty Tucker, the Scarlet and Gray have won a total of eight tournament championships in 11 finals appearances. Exactly one week ago, Ohio State won its eighth-consecutive regular-season league title with a 4-0 win at Michigan.
Against the Wolverines, the Buckeyes won the doubles point for the 31st time in 2013 with wins on court Nos. 1 and 3. The 46th ranked duo of Blaz Rola and Kevin Metka remained perfect on the season, improving to 20-0 overall. The Buckeye tandem defeated Barrett Franks and Alex Buzzi 8-5. In the first position, No. 14 Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith were victorious over No. 30 Evan King and Shaun Bernstein by an 8-4 score. For the duo of Kobelt and Smith it was the third-consecutive win vs. a ranked opponent in the Big Ten Tournament.
Owning a 1-0 advantage heading into singles play, Ohio State picked up victories in quick succession on courts five, six and three. First off the courts, No. 95 Chris Diaz defeated Michael Zhu 6-2, 6-2 in fifth singles. On court No. 6, Constantin Christ earned his first win of the 2013 Big Ten Tournament with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Buzzi. The Ohio State match-winning point was earned by No. 67 Smith playing in the third position. Smith beat Franks 6-3, 6-3 and was instantly swarmed by teammates to join in celebration of the title of 2013 Big Ten Tournament Champions.
The NCAA Men's Tennis Selection show will be web streamed live on ncaasports.com at 5 p.m. April 30. The singles and doubles selection will take place at 6 p.m. May 1.
Tennis Match Results
Michigan vs Ohio State
Apr 28, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#1 Ohio State 4, #3 Michigan 0
1. #9 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. #11 Evan King (MICHIGAN) 7-6 (7-2), 1-0, unfinished
2. #12 Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. Alex Petrone (MICHIGAN) 6-1, 5-4, unfinished
3. #67 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Barrett Franks (MICHIGAN) 6-3, 6-3
4. #88 Devin McCarthy (OSU) vs. #123 Vlad Stefan (MICHIGAN) 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
5. #95 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Michael Zhu (MICHIGAN) 6-2, 6-2
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) def. Alex Buzzi (MICHIGAN) 6-1, 6-2
1. #14 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. #30 Evan King/Shaun Bernstein (MICHIGAN) 8-4
2. #75 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. Alex Petrone/Michael Zhu (MICHIGAN) 7-4, unfinished
3. #46 Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Barrett Franks/Alex Buzzi (MICHIGAN) 8-5
Michigan 16-9; National ranking #3
Ohio State 31-2; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,6,3)
Championship of the Big Ten Tournament
*Rankings reflect tournament standings
Official: Vince Solomon T-2:30
ITA All-American Championship Recap
Justin Kronauge - Hall of Fame Weekend
Buckeyes Release 2016-17 Schedule