Connor Smith won his 29th singles match of the season giving Ohio State the 4-1 victory vs. Indiana.
April 28, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The top-seeded Ohio State men's tennis team (31-2, 11-0 B1G) advanced to the final of the 2012 Big Ten Tennis Tournament Saturday after earning a 4-1 victory over No. 5 seed Indiana (23-9, 7-4) at the Combe Tennis Center in Evanston, Ill. The No. 3 Buckeyes will meet third seed Illinois at 1 p.m. ET Sunday.
The Buckeyes' 92nd-consecutive conference win sends them to their seventh-consecutive Big Ten tournament final, where they have been victorious in their previous six appearances.
Connor Smith won his 29th singles match in his first season as a Buckeye after a 6-1, 7-6 triumph vs. Dimitrije Tasic. Smith moved to 16-4 at the sixth position and has won six consecutive matches.
Ohio State dropped the doubles point for just the third time this season to start the semifinal matchup. Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen, ranked 31st nationally, lost to Alastair Barnes and Josh MacTaggart 8-5 on court two.
Peter Kobelt and Smith also lost 8-5, falling to Stephen Vogl and Will Kendall at No. 3 doubles to give Indiana a sweep of the first two matches.
After unfinished decisions on courts one through three Friday, the trio of Buckeye First Team All-Big Ten selections, Chase Buchanan, Blaz Rola and Kobelt, was the first to finish their respective singles matches vs. Indiana.
Buchanan, ranked 11th-nationally, had no trouble defeating Isade Juneau 6-1, 6-2 at No. 1 singles for his 11th-consecutive victory to tie the match at 1-1. The senior from New Albany, Ohio, improved to 26-6 overall, including an 11-2 ledger at the top position.
Ohio State took its first lead of the match with a 6-4, 6-2 win by Rola over 79th-ranked MacTaggart. The Buckeye sophomore, ranked sixth nationally, won his team high 30th singles match. Rola has earned at least 30 victories in each of his two seasons donning the Scarlet and Gray.
Kobelt was a 6-1, 6-4 winner vs. Jeremy Langer at No. 3 singles, putting Ohio State within one point of advancing to the tournament final. Kobelt, ranked 67th, improved to 14-7 at the third position for an overall mark of 23-10. Kobelt's partner, Smith, would earn his sixth-consecutive win shortly after to claim Ohio State's 31st victory of the season.
The Scarlet and Gray are 46-39 all-time vs. the Hoosiers, having won 14 consecutive, all under the guidance of head coach Ty Tucker.
Follow the Buckeyes on Twitter @OhioState_MTEN
- Ohio State has won 92 consecutive Big Ten matches (regular season and Big Ten tournament) and 144 of 149 contests.
- Ohio State has won 146 consecutive home matches in Columbus (19-0 in 2012).
- As the No. 3 team nationally, Ohio State is 80-3.
- The Buckeyes have won 29 doubles points out of 32 this season. When losing the doubles point, Ohio State posts a 3-0 record.
- The Buckeyes have been victorious in 48 of their previous 51 matches.
- Since 2001, Ohio State is 276-38 when ranked in the ITA Top 25. That percentage improves to 229-15 from the 2005-06 season onward.
- The Buckeyes have been ranked in the ITA Top 10 for 195 consecutive matches (beginning March 7, 2006).
- The Scarlet and Gray are 11-2 vs. teams ranked in the ITA Top 25 and 22-2 vs. teams in the Top 75.
- Blaz Rola leads the team with 30 singles wins, while Chase Buchanan leads with 37 doubles wins.
Tennis Match Results
#3 Ohio State 4, #27 Indiana 1
April 28, 2012 at Evanston, Ill.
(Combe Tennis Center)
1. #11 Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. Isade Juneau (IND) 6-1, 6-2
2. #6 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #79 Josh MacTaggart (IND) 6-4, 6-2
3. #67 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Jeremy Langer (IND) 6-1, 6-4
4. #115 Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. Stephen Vogl (IND) 3-6, 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
5. #85 Devin McCarthy (OSU) vs. Will Kendall (IND) 7-6, 2-3, unfinished
6. #105 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Dimitrije Tasic (IND) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
1. #1 Chase Buchanan/Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. #77 Isade Juneau/Jeremy Langer (IND) 6-5,|
2. Alastair Barnes/Josh MacTaggart (IND) def. #31 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) 8-5
3. Stephen Vogl/Will Kendall (IND) def. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) 8-5
Indiana 23-9 (7-4 B1G); National ranking #27
Ohio State 31-2 (11-0 B1G); National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,2,3,6)
Big Ten Tournament semifinal No. 1
Match played indoors at Combe Tennis Center
Official: John Coleman T-2:42
Buckeyes Down Michigan State 7-0
Buckeyes Fall 4-3 at No. 8 Texas